Latest Art Work

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Faulpez attempts to make Mint Chip Ice Cream

Actual recommended ingredients:
1 c ( 250ml) Milk
3/4 c (150g) Sugar
2 c (500ml) Heavy Cream
pinch of Sea Salt
2 c (80g) lightly packed fresh Peppermint Leaves (or more if you like)
5 lrg Egg Yolks
5 oz (140g) Dark Chocolate, finely chopped (do not use choc. chips)
Adapted from David Lebovitz’s The Perfect Scoop. Makes about 1 qt.

Unfortunately I made an adaptation because
1. I don't know what is peppermint leaves. I just bought mint and hope it is peppermint and not spearmint?
2. I wanted a healthier version so I put more milk and less cream i.e.
2 C Milk, 1 C Cream
3. No sea salt so use normal salt

More or less I made some other adapations. Afterall Faulpez rarely follows recipe rigidly. Thus the directions that I followed are

1. Combine the 1 C of milk, sugar, cream, and salt in a saucepan and gently warm until bathwater warm. Squeeze mint leaves in your hands to help release the oils a bit and add to warm milk mixture. Stir until they are all settled into to the saucepan, remove pan from heat, cover, and set aside for 1-2 hours (depending on how minty you’d like the ice cream to be)

2. Strain the mint-infused mixture into another med. sized saucepan, using a fine mesh strainer (if you have all these equipments. For me I just hand squeeze the mint leaves to extract as much of the delicious minty-ness you can out of them, then discard the mint leaves, in the same saucepan).

3. Prepare for the final step by putting the remaining 1 c of heavy cream (or milk for my case) in a medium bowl with a fine mesh strainer over the top (I skipped that sorry).

4. Prepare an ice bath which this medium bowl will fit into. Set both aside.

5. Gently re-warm the mint mixture, and in a separate medium sized bowl whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the mint mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Pour this mixture back into the saucepan and return to the heat.

6. Heat over med. heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Pour the thickened mixture through the fine mesh strainer into the remaining heavy cream. Place bowl in the ice bath and stir to combine and cool the mixture in the ice bath.

7. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until fully chilled.

8. After mint ice cream mixture is fully chilled in the fridge, begin gently melting dark chocolate in a saucepan over simmering water (or directly in a saucepan if you have a cooktop which will cycle on and off like Thermador’s XLO (ExtraLow) function. Hmm mine was a heat stove which does goes on and off so I did it directly.

9. If you have an ice cream maker, continue this step:
begin churning ice cream in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. When the ice cream is nearly finished freezing in the ice cream maker, slowly drizzle the melted chocolate into the ice cream, trying to avoid pouring onto the paddle or dasher. If the chocolate clings to the paddle (dasher) stop the ice cream maker and use a spatula or spoon to break up any chunks. Put mint chip ice cream in freezer to finish setting the ice cream if necessary.

10. If you do not have the ice cream maker... like me.. well.. more effort required...

a. Take your ice cream recipe mixture and carefully pour it into the bowl, then chill in the fridge for up to 2 hours, checking on it after 1 hour. The reason it can take longer than an hour is when a recipe mixture has had cooked ingredients added, therefore thorough chilling will take longer.

b. Take the bowl out of the fridge and transfer to the freezer for about half an hour. Then check just how much the mixture has frozen - ideally, it should have started to freeze at the edges but not fully through to the centre.

c. Take the bowl out of the freezer and beat the ice cream mixture until it’s creamy once again (to dislodge and break up the ice crystals that have formed).

d. Put it back in the freezer for another half hour, then remove and once again beat with a whisk (or spoon for my case).

e. Do this again so that you have beaten the mixture a total of 3 times whilst freezing in between. At the last time, you should pour the melting dark chocolate which will immediately freeze and starts behaving like choco chips when you break it into pieces.

f. Put the mixture back into the freezer for a final time until it’s ready to eat. This can take anything from 30 minutes upwards, depending upon the quantity and type of ice cream you’re making and also how you like the consistency of your ice cream (some people like it softer, some harder).

p/s: Actually I fell asleep by the last time but thankfully not much damage and my ice cream still looked like ice cream. Just probably tasted abit like toothpaste.. I guess I did use the wrong mint in the end?

Bflygal comment: Another 2011 memory.. 17th March 2011. I used to remember 18th March was once an important day for another context. But for this mint chip ice cream context, I had thought of deleting this post too. Like I have thought of throwing away the santa run costume so many times. I know I will not bring it back to SG when I finally leave this apartment, because the costume quality was quite disappointing. For a run I wished to join for so many years, it has somehow become the last run I did. Haven't had much inclination to embark another run. Maybe because I was sick for a few weeks.. all I wish for is to go home. First long weekend coming soon, perhaps something to cheer me up. 

p/s: I actually cannot remember the heat stove could go on and off. Queer. But lately when I was baking brownies and lava cake, I had to melt white chocolate. I tried the microwave but didn't like the method. So I tried the fancy Bain-marie method instead haha. Is just a double boil method and obviously I did the improvised method cos Faulpez will never buy any special equipment, at least not in a rented apartment. I did buy a square baking pan though for the brownie in the end because I couldn't accept a round brownie as the result. As for my ice cream making days, I know that year I even borrowed an ice cream maker later and made golden kiwifruit ice cream, coffee ice cream and matcha ice cream. Hmm but I think those were the days. Now my freezer only has store bought bailey ice cream and some fancy ice cream from Lygon. However I would like this golden-hued memory that has turned blue at this moment, to become more golden according to the Pollyanna principle

0 comments: