Latest Art Work

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Faulpez and her Sisig Puzzle

Yes, I am staring at the can of Purefoods Sisig wondering what it is. It was left behind by colleague who last stayed in this apartment.

At first the instruction was very simple. Just empty the contents, cook it, add onion, squeeze calamansi juice and voila, a dish. As easy as 1-2-3. And was planning to cook it for my lunch box next week. But I wanted to know if I can add some vegetables and what vegetables would be suitable for it.

Thus began my research of sisig... and I found out it refers to Sizzling sisig, a Filipino dish made from parts of pig’s head and liver, usually seasoned with calamansi and chili peppers.
- Source Wiki

Pig's head!!! Geez sometimes I really do feel Filipino and Chinese have a fetish for pork. My Fillipino friends raved to me how much they missed pig trotter which is also a pretty popular Chinese dish, not mine though unfortunately (thus I'm missing out on all the wonderful collagen).

The term ‘sisig' refers to the spicy and fatty meat dish which is a favourite in the Philippines. It is considered a specialty food because the long and arduous preparation of ‘sisig' is really a ‘labor of love.' Reminds me of MasterChef George Calombaris' mother Mary advice that to cook, you must use your heart.

‘Sisig' is best served with a mug of ice-cold beer because ‘sisig' has a unique blend of spiciness of chili peppers, sour taste of vinegar and calamansi juice, and the saltiness of salt and soy sauce. It can be often served with steamy rice and can even be a popular toppings on pizza.

Anyway I concluded to add bell peppers in my dish for some balance in diet. And I will consider including the last step 'add egg on top after removing it from heat.'

So if Sisig is the unofficial national pinoy dish, then Pork Adobo is the national pinoy dish cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic. And I was lucky enough to be treated authentic pork adobo cooked by my Filipino colleague. Finally I got to savour this national dish..

Bflygal comment: This was written in 2011. Supposedly to have a photo of the dish but I cannot seem to find the image and FB has moved the folder structure. A few drafts had been deleted. Was thinking of deleting this too but since I had researched and written so much on Sisig, and because after this, I remembered another 2 more occasions where my Filipino colleague had cooked in Tokyo and my Filipino client (ASM) had brought me to an authentic Filipino stall in Yishun for lunch. These are treasured memories that I don't wish to delete away. So many treasured memories, I wish I can hold on to them forever. Suddenly I remember Inside Out's memory orbs. Sigh. 

0 comments: