Latest Art Work

Saturday, May 07, 2011

Political Apathetic

Still remember my first time voting?

I remember how political apathetic I was back then. 5 years. Time flies. My political knowledge is still stuck at 10/100. I still like Sylvia Lim. I still wish George Yeo in too. I still wonder why all the talents are in Aljunied. Why can't some of them come to my constituency.

So what can I do? I am stuck in Melbourne. May is the month where it is very important for me since young. It is the day where I usually get broke. Kidding. But it has been planned that if there is any date I would return back, they are xmas, cny and end May. So between family and country, I really don't have much of a choice. It is decided that I will fly back end May.

And then I read about the opposition and realised Mr. Goh is part of that A-team I had like in the previous election. But what is the use when the rest of his team is so quiet that I hardly know if they can talk at all.

Friend tell me you vote not for your constituency but for the nation. On whose voice you want in the parliament. But I can't hear these voices? Not from the incumbent nor the other side.

Friend tell me life is like this. Win some, lose some. But why do some have to vote talents away and some have to vote imbecile in due to the theory of 'the lesser evil'.

Then I have friends saying it is such a hassle, it is irritating to keep seeing and hearing. Of course too much of something starts to get tiring. And nobody likes to hear bashing constantly. We need to hear something of substance still. We need to know if our dreams are reachable.

And what if both are useless. Is it worth the flight back? But it is my voice. Would I live to regret? I was told off to stop being silly and to just stay here. But I have the ever growing regret, the feeling that my voice has been robbed off, silenced. And that I feel like a spineless coward hiding in a faraway city.. because I could not decide which is the lesser evil. I feel like I turned my back to my country.


Fair is foul, and foul is fair:
Hover through the fog and filthy air.
- Macbeth

Funny that my friend always said that I will give up my country one day because of my yearning to swim into the big ocean. And that the past few months I am here, everybody like to ask if I'm staying here permanently. But I never wanted to give up my country, for the sole reason that it is where my family is. But then when it is a choice between family and country, it sure is a tough decision and whichever decision I made, I lived to regret it as I do now.

I can only hope that Mr. Goh will get back his deposit. Perhaps I will drop by a cathedral to seek forgiveness for being so cowardly.. and causing so much mayhem back home.

And I promised myself that next time, I would register as an overseas voter regardless. But I am fully aware, this year, may be the only chance. And opportunity doesn't knock twice.

0 comments: