Latest Art Work

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Balance in Life

I got my hope and managed to catch Eat Pray Love in the inflight entertainment. And it was interesting to see what I had conjured in my mind when I read the book, to be presented in the film. Especially when I saw the picture the Balinese man gave the female protagonist. And I went back to find the drawing I drew that time.

I don’t remember certain scenes though. For e.g. the part when female protagonist had been asked if she’s a lesbian just because she chose to travel around the world and not get married and start a family. But if a guy does that, people will just say he has to sown his wild oats before he can settle down. Such discrimination!
Because it is so true that God dwells within me, as me. God, who can comes in all shapes and sizes, will elicit the same feelings and respect from us regardless. And thus there is no such thing as your God is more powerful than my God.

Unfortunately the movie dwells mainly the Love part I feel. The only part I did not comment much when I read the book. And weirdly the part that I’m intrigued lately especially after cL made me watch Channel U feature Film : Love in A Cab 等一等爱情. (I had actually wrote a blog on it but I lost it just as I was about to publish it.. the word document crashed and I could not retrieve it back no matter what.. so I felt it may be destined not to write about it.. I will see my mood and time if I wish to replicate it below this post).

“The only thing more unthinkable than leaving was staying; the only thing more impossible than staying was leaving.”

And likewise I like to challenge myself to do impossible things.. like leaving.

“You need to learn how to select your thoughts just the same way you select your clothes every day. This is a power you can cultivate. If you want to control things in your life so bad, work on the mind. That’s the only thing you should be trying to control.”

Haha this is funny, so if I hate selecting clothes, I probably hate selecting thoughts. And if I have a habit to keep selecting the same clothes, then I probably have the same habit to keep selecting the same thoughts?

“Not too much God, not too much selfishness”. This is the equilibrium you wish to attain in life. But does it always have to be balanced? Because sometimes “To lose balance sometimes for love is part of living a balanced life.” Aww this is the exact paradox that I like to dab with. Haha. Of course I can make life simpler for myself too.. which I do at times.. I will do what the female protagonist does in Love in a Cab haha (a cue to write a bit about the Love in a Cab I guess)





Image source: Facebook - Love in a Cab


一个是时针,一个是分针。
Thus they are forever walking in different paces, meeting only occasionally. So who should wait for who? And what if both stopped to wait, would they ever meet again then?

我在雨中等你,在太阳下等你,等了又等,一等再等.最后我忘了我在等什么?可能只是一个结果。
And what are they waiting for?

2000年,克勤和祖儿因为麦当劳的Hello Kitty结下了缘分。2002年的世界杯,开了两人的玩笑,让两人的误会加深。2004年,Nicoll Highway倒塌事件让两人的关系改进。(I still remember that year, I tend to take bus 10 home frequently. And I wondered what if the bus 10 had been on the road at that point of time?)

2005年。。。2006年。。。2007年。。。2008。。。2009。。。2010年,两人已经30岁 了,这段兜兜转转了十年的缘分,到底还要等多久?

And so the female protagonist did something to make things simpler. She asked him for a date. For 10 years, they had never been on a date. But the male protagonist said that is because for the past 10 years, history showed that they were never meant to be.
张小娴说:
在错的时间遇上对的人,是一种无奈;
在对的时间遇上错的人,是一声叹息;
在对的时间遇上对的人,是一生幸福。
Thus they had been meeting at the wrong timing. When he had his first love stolen, she had stolen the first love gift – A pair of Hello Kitty in spacesuit (haha it is also the only pair in my display cabinet). When she tested him with bringing medicine for her, he had arrived too late (he said next time he will called a cab and not wait for cab) and her boyfriend had proposed. When she was single, he had another girl by his side already. In fact I had a feeling after breaking up with that boyfriend; she does not seem to have dated ever again. Was she waiting for him then? But he was going to get married (sigh how did the feelings get transferred? I wish to know.). In Eat, Pray and Love, I remembered vividly the ex-husband telling the female protagonist that when he said his marriage vows till death, he meant it. So my BIG question is how did this male protagonist went through the marriage process and made such an eternal vow? These days, do these young people take love seriously at all? Or am I the only fool believing that love is pure in its truest essence. (Ok I exaggerated; I am surrounded by people who believe in love in its purest form too, thankfully.)
Of course later on it showed that he never got married. But he chose to wait for her to sms him on xmas eve. That is so… passive… And so since they are both still single, even I do not understand why the wait? (If I’m the female protagonist, I probably murder him already). And why he still insist it was never meant to be? And probably like the female protagonist, I will play the fate game too haha. But eh seeing if the next cab rego is an even number, of which it is 1402 and she decided let’s have a date on 14th Feb then. I do agree she is a tad too reckless haha (not that I’m not reckless when I’m pushed to my extremes). And since she chose the date, I think fate really did play a big joke on them. Because all these years, he had been drawing their love story. And had compiled them in pristine condition in a black folder. And as she flipped through the love story, he told her someone from Taiwan had taken a liking to his artwork and he has decided to fly to Taiwan on 14th Feb. And he may never come back. Awww…
I still remember he was saying he drew for her and found his calling. But in the end he had to leave her to accomplish his calling. And obviously nobody will stop someone in his life mission. That is too selfish.
So she did something even more selfish than that, she chose to call quits on the Waiting Game and leave before him haha.
你送我,好过我送你。
Smart move! And with that simplify everything. Because now they only left less than a few hours before she will bid him adieu. And if he has anything to say, he should say it now. BUT (and it seriously came as no surprise to me having seen how wishy-washy he is) he chose to keep his silence. And so she returned the first love gift and decided to leave him...ever and ever again.. Haha I would have like this ending in some wicked sense because well he had to pay his consequences for keeping quiet even at the very last moments and being berated by the cab driver. Seriously she had been too lenient to turn back just because he was chasing the cab for a SHORT distance. But well this is a LOVE story and HAPPY endings are expected because.. right from the beginning the story had already unfolded...
爱情像的德士,有时你等它,有时它等你,只要你愿意,一定会等到的。

Oh and I still want to murder him for another reason. The female protagonist had said she is willing to go Taiwan (I agree is the best option too as you should not give up your calling and LDR is really tiring and mentally challenging) with him but he said must see her performance after the date. BISH!

Back to Eat Pray Love…
“This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.”

"The Physics of the Quest." A force in nature governed by laws as real as the laws of gravity. The rule of Quest Physics goes something like this: If you're brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting, which can be anything from your house to bitter, old resentments, and set out on a truth-seeking journey, either externally or internally, and if you are truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher and if you are prepared, most of all, to face and forgive some very difficult realities about yourself, then the truth will not be withheld from you.

Actually when I first read the book, it was about the same time I was heading to Italy too. Then I wondered when I will be in India for the 2nd part. However when I was watching the movie and seeing the Indian roadside scenes, somehow I recalled about Manila, how I accidentally ventured into the slums which later on someone told me I should not have gone there. I had witnessed the poor conditions and indeed had been afraid at that time (kept reminding myself not to take photo because that would betray that I am a foreigner). And I ‘prayed’ constantly in Manila, not on purpose. I visited their EDSA Shrine and again spent the whole morning asking Jesus what is my next path. Because I had been rejected by VSO then and was totally lost in my bearings. The next day I stumbled into Mother Teresa’s exhibition while in Manila Cathedral and was asking her for enlightenment. So now I’m wondering, when I am going Bali to be taught by a guru on the balance of life? Haha!  (Oh and I finally published the 2 long over due posts haha)

p/s: cL, my friend mentioned about Sumiko Tan's different travelling sentiments with her husband which amused me. What's your take on it? Actually while watching Love in a Cab, I did wonder if Sumiko Tan had waited like the female protagonist did? And do you believe that in real life, such a story will happen? Ok I must faster finalize my HK itinerary. Drop u a message when I'm back.

0 comments: