Latest Art Work

Thursday, December 16, 2010

My first studio apartment

As some of you would have realised, I have been staying in this little studio room since 1st Sep 2010. I still remember the first night I reached Melbourne. It may have been 7pm but it was pitch black because I had arrived at their winter's tail. And I had gotten the wrong address (not my fault as the site which advertised it put the wrong number though later on I realised on my LTO, it was the correct address). The cab driver had been kind (I had originally wanted to write a post that the first stranger we meet when we reach a new country, is the cab driver. But I never got around writing it because I realised that we could take trains and buses etc so it need not always be the cabbie. And because later on, I was super angry with a cab driver in Sydney who had cheated me.. imagine paying 65 AUD to city and sharing with another stranger.. when a normal fare costs 30-40 only. I really hate myself for not doing my homework as I rather give that 25 AUD to the beggars I see there instead than him. Reminds me of those cab drivers I meet in Manila too who tried to jack up their prices when it was raining, or give me some other crappy reasons that traffic will turn bad soon.. haha that one I will blog once I sort my Manila photos). Anyway I do meet nice cab driver.. though I wouldn't say this one is honest either. He did went a longer route for me saying it is due to the traffic and thus the fare was 10-15 AUD more than what I paid for the second time. But he had given me his contact upon knowing I am alone in this city in case I ever need help bah.

And when I realised I couldn't find the apartment, I did consider if I should contact him and get him to drive me to Thai lady's apartment which was just further down. Plus the work mobile was a hand-me-down and the battery couldn't last and it had been tough getting the property agent after office hours. It was also drizzling and I was very much under-dressed (I seriously did not expect winter at that time and my raingear was packed in the luggage). A cleaner lady did suggest I walk a certain direction and see if those are the buildings I was looking for. But it wasn't. I decided to walk the opposite direction and that's when I saw Blackman which at that time had an ad on rooms available. I decided to ask the staff where the Art Series hotel is as I thought they should know their competitor better than me haha. So it came as a surprise when the staff told me this is the Art Series hotel. Zzz. No wonder the agent keep telling me something black. And I kept wondering late at night, every building looks black to me ah.

And that night, after taking some photos (check this link for the photos), I called mum (which as usual surprise her.. over the span of 3 months, everytime I called her took her by surprise haha. I remember when I called her on my bday though, I was actually feeling tearful haha. Sigh I'm such a crybaby at times...) and then I shower and sleep.

Fast forward 3.5 months later. It is the last night I am staying in this studio which I have grown accustomed to and which I sometimes call my home. I did not sleep the whole night as I keep walking back and fro, thinking if this should bring back home or leave it at my friend's place. An easy equation is if I will bring it back, I should just leave at my friend's place. The underlying condition is I don't want to take up too much storage space from my friend. And so I kept going back and fro (plus I was feeling quensy... blog later on it). I finally concluded with 3 bulging bags. And slept like an hour on the bed which I have to admit is really very very comfy. xL says she usually has problem adjusting to beds but she actually slept soundfully in this bed on the first night.

Alright I have to say bye to this studio.. wonder what will my new room be like when I come back a fornight later.




This is the artwork besides my working table. And the picture I see when I'm in toilet too. And I always wonder, how hard it is to please Alice who gets angry whether she turns big or small.... But then I guess everything must be of the right size to begin with. I'm feeling like her now though...

0 comments: