Latest Art Work

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Moi First Kayaking Experience

I cannot figure out whether to post this here or in my Grasstales because the only reason I'm posting it is because I saw a pair of horsehose crabs!!!!

Ok I should rewind and start by mentioning the expedition... a short expedition (luckily). Met early morning in Pasir Ris - PA Water Venture. Geez, I did not know that place is called PA Water Venture even though I jogged past it many times. Haha and I was once again breathless due to my jog from home to PA. (Sigh, yesterday 8+ km test jog with my friend already made me realise the gap I need to train especially when he still has so much energy to expend... Oh but I realised ECP is quite nice to jog too.. worth considering route.)

Then is rent the kayaks (@ both PA and Watercross) and listened to instructions (clueless me need to know what are the signs my expedition leader will use to communicate with us). And is march (or rather kayak) on to Coney Island.

So what is Coney Island? It used to be called Pulau Serangoon (Coney Island) and is quite near to Punggol if you checked the map.

Nature wise, it is said that it is an important location for migratory birds like the endangered Magpie Robin and the Plover.

Usage wise, Coney Island was an island retreat popular with families looking for picnic spots. It was accessible from Punggol or Changi Point via boats (Heard a bridge is slated to be built from Punggol to Coney Island hmm). In later years, the island became popular for water-skiing, boating, and fishing.

Source: Singapore Infopedia

I remembered leader said it is a 2km kayaking expedition. Hmm 2km seems doable if you were asking me to run as I will probably just take 15-20 minutes. But this was kayaking and it was REALLY SLOW. Geez. My poor friend had to paddle doubly hard because clueless and useless me was only there to find out how does kayaking feel and to get some tan. Haha!

Along the way, saw the kelongs which I used to see when jogging.. you know how's the life of a kelong? I remembered my visit and interview with one of them, it was peaceful and serene and so out of the world.. Oh that was also the first time I seen kayaking, while in the boat looking after their belongings. (In the background Within Temptation's Memories was being played.. so apt!)

Also saw a pair of sea gulls and some of them spotted the jelly fish (I didn't as I was clumbsily paddling my way to Coney Island). Then a short rest at a spot in Coney Island. I saw the rubbishes strewn up the coastal area, so sad. At that time I did not know what Coney Island is for though so was quite puzzled. Anyway , there was a yatch and when it was moving off, we caught sight of flying fish after it (or so I believed) haha. So cute!

It is also at this spot that we saw the Horseshoe Crab. Woah it is bigger than the one in the Zoo Mangrove section.

A picture of a pair of mating Horseshoe Crab caught in action, courtesy of my friend for taking it. Initially the male was on top of the female and then slowly, the female will pauses every few feet to dig and lay her eggs...

No wonder there was so much burrowing... and we thought the pair was shy after being caught in action by so many of us.. just kidding! Read more facts in my Grasstales.

Tide down, it is back to Pasir Ris where we shower and then have lunch. Overall, this trip had allowed me to know kayaking better. Seriously though, I don't feel like taking certication for it.. but leisure kayaking should be fun. Hmm except I still don't have confidence to kayak alone and I think it isn't very fair to my partner if we kayak doubles. Still feel bad...

1 comments:

X said...

I was thinking of asking you to take certification as I read thru the blog but haha u mentioned at the end of it.

Well the certification helps to build confidence in kayaking alone and you will be a help instead of a *cough*hin*cough*drance*cough* to your partner next time round. =P