Latest Art Work

Friday, November 28, 2008

Musing about Recycling and Donation Drive

I have been thinking about recycling bins and what happens to the stuff in there. However I cannot seem to find the outcome from the internet. In some sense it makes me wonder how serious we are on recycling or are these treated like normal trash. And because it is the end of the year where spring cleaning is inevitable, my thoughts on such matters came floating back to me.

Especially after hearing what my mum described at the donation centre:
Hope Centre FTS
Address: 7 Upper Changi Road North Singapore 507705
Telephone: 6546 0309
Operating hours: 9.00am to 6.00pm, Mon – Sat


A year ago when I donated out my toys, my brother had been the one that deposited the items in this place. At that time, he mentioned it is like a rubbish bin. We thought he meant the people were treating the place like a rubbish centre.

2 days ago, my mum went back to donate stuff there. And the sight shocked her. Prams were wet due to the rainy conditions, items were subjected to the extreme weather conditions. I'm not saying there is no shelter. There is! But there are too much items plus the fact that neither rain nor wind comes in a downward direction only. It seems that we are not treating the place like a rubbish centre, but they are treating our donations like rubbish if they are not collating/packing them.

Of course I can only see one side of the matter. They might have shortage in manpower or space or other valid reasons. But the thought that my mum had spruced up the toys (dad and I told her cannot donate dirty toys.. and that these people probably had no time to wash the toys either) only to be subjected to such conditions. The thought of those new clothes or those books being wet due to rain.



I cannot bear it. One thing for sure, I am not going to leave my donations at that place no matter what valid reasons they have the next round. I really hope I will find my queries answered soon somehow.

0 comments: