Latest Art Work

Friday, November 28, 2008

SATC and more

During the weekend, I decided to re-watch SATC. Still remember the opening is:
Women come to New York for the two L's: Labels and Love.

Somehow I was sceptical to believe one could find love in city. But it is a city that I lives in. Maybe that is why I chased after the series years ago.

Anyway rewatching it gives me a different thoughts compared to the first watch. When I first watched it, I did not read any review. Thus I only saw the main points e.g. Samantha Jones handing Carrie her iPhone, which Carrie returns somewhat disgusted replying "I don't know how to work this!". Somehow I could identify that as I gave up figuring how to use a HTC/iphone then. Guess I would never expect myself to be typing this post with a BB though I have to confess a BB is still easier to use than a touchscreen phone.

And the part where Carrie wanted to sleep through NY, something I usually does.

Rewatching with reviews though make me ask if these 4 ladies had over-reacted? Cutting off all contact, refusing to hear explanations, throwing the hp away. A review said that they were not behaving like 40 year old. I then asked my friend had these ladies been rational of which she replied a lady in love is never rational.

Reminded me about the auction where this lady commented that "she’s a smart girl, till she fell in love.". Regardless of age, when you are in love or out of love, you just cannot behave what is expected of you. Does being 40 makes you hurt less than if you were 20? Age and experience might make you more wary but that only happens before you fall in love. Once you fall in love, you are blinded. And when you fall out of love, the hurt in you should be able to justify your actions. However, if you do remain level-headed, good for you as a rational person probably will dissolve the hate at a shorter time.

Thus irrational me had decided to call him a jerk. Coincidentally, an old Cleo issue was talking about a new type of jerk who are not handsome and might be hurt deeply before and yet can capture your attention and manipulate you like a kite. To demean him is indeed too much on my part especially when his friends only have praises for him. But I am like Li-Ann in Leap of Love or Carrie, being tugged and released. Even if it is subtle, it still hurts. (I should take back the comparision, both had happy ending.)

And when Samantha ended her love story, the movie was saying that
“some love stories aren't epic novels, some are short stories. But, that doesn't make them any less filled with love.”
It got me thinking of the definition of love story? Filled with trust? Faith? Someone before me? Loving someone even if she has AIDS? Side effect of watching TCS "By Your Side" I guess.

Towards the ending when Carrie was in her story telling session saying
“and as I put the wedding gown away, I couldn’t help to wonder, what is it that we’re willing to write our own vows, but not our own rules.”
I did ponder what rules she wanted to make. Is it to marry John James Preston in a labelless dress? Or just making it a 2 person (3 if to include the registrar) affair? Such actions are indeed tough to make especially if you live in a city for too long. The side effects of the city means you are more or less affected by the chasing of labels, the climbing of corporate ladder, the getting in/out of rat race in pursuit of cash.

I think I have lots to complain living in a city life. And lots more grouses to make working in where I am now. But I should end this post and keep such thoughts to myself only as I intend to write my own rules no matter what. My friend will probably say I’m inflexible hahha….