Latest Art Work

Monday, May 12, 2008

Stressful Driving

It is a post I had wanted to write for quite some time. Before I went on my long leave for my exams, as I was driving back to work, the DJ was saying that driving in Singapore is stress. And I was agreeing with DJ and that most of my stress comes from parking, and getting lost.

But I delayed the post as I was preparing my exams. Before I knew it, it was 7th May 2008, Wednesday. The “first” day I went back to work after my leave, where I was very stoned still. However, that morning, someone was more stoned than me. After boarding the bus for a few minutes, I realize I’m still in neighbourhood which should not be the case as the bus usually will hit the expressway soon. For a moment, I froze and wondered did the bus change route while I’m on leave? Then I saw the bus went a very big round my neighbourhood until a commuter went forward and ask him if there is a change in route or he is lost. The driver then admit he is lost and wanted to make a BIG detour back to the interchange, which shocked the commuter (and us on board) because there is a shorter way out to head to the expressway. At that point of time, I suddenly wondered, was the driver stressed especially when he is carrying a busload of passengers?

The driver never did apologise to the rest of us though he did say sorry to that commuter. Not sure if he did thank the commuter for leading him the way back though. Actually I’m not surprised that he doesn’t know the roads well in my neighbourhood. After all these drivers usually drive a fixed route daily, and probably don’t even stay here. Just that he reminded me of this blog that I wanted to write about…

My stress usually comes from parking, which explains why I do not drive to many places other than home and work. When I first got my license, the only places I drove were to my university’s hostel and around my neighbourhood. And that is because I do not have to park. I only started parking often 2 years ago when my dad finally allowed me to drive to work. The only problem is my workplace tends to roughen the car. This has becomes my second stress factor whenever I did not managed to get to park the “rare” slots lately haha. And because this year, I “pleaded” my dad to let me drive to school at times, my third stress came from getting lost.

In fact I think the times I got lost to school outnumber the times I managed to get to school as intended. The first time I took the wrong expressway while the second time, I almost ended up at checkpoint. Hmm then the week where my parents were holidaying, I changed the route and thankfully the first two days, I did took the route as intended only to get totally lost on the third day and almost hit back to city area (as I saw the ERP gantry switched on). I did ponder if I should go home since haha.. but I exit out and randomly drove before stopping myself at some quiet road to read the map. Actually till now, I’m still surprised all these times; I managed to find my way to reach school relatively on time. Think I got strong survival tactic whaha. (Thankfully, considering I get lost very easily.. just yesterday I was lost in my own neighbourhood while searching for a specific shop. It was my fault for not jotting down the address but I thought I should not have a problem finding it since it is a shop I have been going since secondary or jc days to purchase durian puff on Mother’s day. Except that such is a yearly affair and that I did not walk there for at least two years already.)

Hmm so yes I concur that driving in Singapore is stressful. Just see how sick QR got when he had his car the first few days, oops. So in this post I would like to take the chance to thank all the drivers whose car I sat before namely
1) My dad of course. He is my ever-so-obliging driver though he rarely picks me from uni except some rare occasion which really made my day. And the fact that he agrees to pick me from MRT every time he is at home for this semester really save me as I’m usually so tired after school.
2) QR for those 3 exam nights that you fetched me home. I’m really grateful especially the weekday’s nights. And since I’m talking about exam nights, for the past 2.5 years, I have been grateful to have Pte and classmates (and my dad) who have driven me home, or MRT. I really appreciate it. I still remember once I had a flight to catch after my last paper and a classmate offered to send me back. Sometimes, I feel I am really so lucky to meet you guys.
3) Talking about school days, of course it will start since my uni days even though I lost contact with them already. Thankful for my uni mates who drove me back sometimes too. Still remember a few occasions; this guy will drive a group of us back home. Very sweet of him haha (also very fun coz it was one group of us heading home together).
4) Then I have to thank my masters mates e.g TC, XX and others who either send me to school or send me to the nearest MRT or home. Even if it is just a ride to the nearest MRT, and though sometimes I might not have sounded appreciative, I just want to tell you guys that I actually appreciated it a lot. It’s just that you guys like to ask me about my other rides so I just reply truthfully. But I do remember the times you send me back home due to certain reasons.
5) Work wise, of course must thank my colleagues and bosses who send me to the MRT or nearby bus-stop or home sweet home haha.
6) Most probably parents of my friends who drove me home haha. Or boyfriends of my friends. Or friends of friends.. Or just friends who sent me home before la. I’m thankful for all the rides I hitched, including those taxi drivers and bus drivers.
7) As usual, I’m thankful for my GA. Even though he does not drive, he has been guiding me all these while. How else could I find my way back every time I’m lost.

0 comments: