Latest Art Work

Friday, May 09, 2008

My first impression of Morrie & Mitch

Source: Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
Disclaimer: This entry contains quotes from the book, Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom.

Reading about Morrie reminds me of Randy Pausch and his famous last lecture.

The first lesson Morrie taught me, is to conduct my own living funeral if I ever have a chance. Indeed when I die, I most probably cannot hear what you have to say about me. So why not hear it when I’m still alive. It is the same mentality I should have towards the rest too, to tell them what I feel about them.

But it is easier said than done when one stays undecided on eros, philos and agape. Doc said that to like a person is a separate issue from whether the person likes you. That is why she just keeps doing what she is doing regardless of my friend’s reaction. But only she can be so self-giving bah. To show concern to someone who most probably has a lot of people showing concern already, and knowing that your concern is just so normal to him, it really takes a lot of courage. I don’t know how she does it, but each time, to muster that amount of courage, to think if one should message or not, to ponder if there would be a reply or not… is agonizing.

Maybe that is why Nike has an ad that says “Just do it!” This is to prevent you from thinking because one thinks too much and does too little in life. But I’m a thinker.

The first lesson Mitch taught me was to speed through life. He felt time were suddenly precious, water going down an open drain, and he could not move quickly enough. Instead of chasing his own fame, he wrote about famous athletes chasing theirs. He worked at a pace that knew no hours, no limits. He was in demand. He was cranked to a fifth gear, and everything he did, he did on a deadline. He exercised like a demon. He drove at breakneck speed. He made more money than he ever figured to see. He met a lady who somehow loved him despite his schedule and constant absences. His days were full, yet he remained, much of the time unsatisfied.

Did Mitch really teach me to speed through life? No, he didn’t. Through Morrie’s words, they taught me that the culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. We’re teaching the wrong things. And one have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn’t work, don’t buy it. Create your own. Which most people cannot accomplish. Thus dying may be one thing to be sad over but living unhappily is another issue.

Timely. Thanks stressor for loaning me the book. One of the stuff I agree when I was high on Wednesday, was to progress. But should I really listen to my friend’s advice? Not everybody can be a high flyer, and I never once put much emphasis on money which to some people, they would deem me childish. It is not that money is not important, else I wouldn’t be working. But do I really want that kind of life that my friend just left for? It’s something she can accept, and something I never really accept. I don’t like city life, I don’t like taking crowded public transport. I don’t like dressing up which includes make-up. Most people cannot envision why I’m willing to reach office by 7, why I’m willing to be in such an ulu place. Because the morning bus journeys are quiet. Because the morning walk to work is a treasured experience as it is close proximity with the nature.

I wanted to create my own life but my character is weak. Thus I procrastinate a lot and accomplish little. There are still many things to note in the book which I will do so another time. This post is written more for someone. Except I know his angel has already given him sound advices and he has already accepted the matter.

Never mind, it can be a post dedicated for me.

“The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn’t work, don’t buy it.”

0 comments: