Latest Art Work

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Filial Piety Month


It was the 7th Lunar Month and the Taoist believe it is the month of Hungry Ghost Festival where the spirits leave the lower realm for a visit as I was brought up to know since young. Thus it was the first time that I realise that Buddhism believe the 7th month to be a Filial Piety Month too.

This was based on the Ullambana origin where the Buddha had taught his disciple Maudgalyāyana how to obtain liberation for his mother, who had been reborn into a lower realm.

Source: Wikipedia

It is interesting to know the similarity in these 2 religions which involves giving offerings to the ancestors and remembering them. In addition, Ghost festival is the time where we pay respects to all the deceased, including same and younger generations (unlike Qing Ming which is generally paying homage to ancestors).

From my friend, I also learn that Buddhist chant every morning and evening. But this day, the service that we attend is a special service which she has never done. Thus we were just following what the others do. I spent 2 hours doing the rituals and chanting The Precious Litany of 88 Grand-Name Buddhas. As my mandarin isn't very good, I require the English translation to read. However I was still chanting in mandarin (reading the han yu pin yin) and thus I did not have much time to read the English interpretation at times.

After the ritual, when I was discussing with my friend, then I realised that she had said hers in English. Hmm, next time I shall read mine in English too. As of now, I only know the gist of the chants where I was paying homage to the 88 Buddhas as well as the typical stuff on the proper conduct we must have.

We also had our vegetarian lunch in the hall before we head back home. In my heart, I actually hope that through this ritual, I would help to gain some blessings for my just deceased grandpa (on the 95th day of his departure) as well as my other ancestors and lastly for the survivors too.

Source: Fo Guan Shan Melbourne

0 comments: