Latest Art Work

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Storm Names


And no I'm not talking about Blackberry Storm (old news considering Torch just came out recently). I'm talking about something that concerns me for the time being, the Tropical Storm Ester or International Storm Dianmu.

Image Source: Gulf Coast Hurricanes

And the two names which refer to the same storm, made me blur for a short period before wiki cleared my confusion.

I was reading this article from HP. And it states
"Tropical Storm Dianmu formed yesterday north of the Philippines. The storm, named Ester by the Phillippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration was heading to the north away from the archipelego."
- from: Gulf Coast Hurricanes

At the same time, HP was telling me that the next storm will be called Mindulle, added to my confusion. Then wiki told me that storms have International Names i.e. Dianmu, and for the Philippines, they have the Filipino name i.e. Ester. Now that makes sense.

And so why am I concerned about this storm? Well I am heading Manila in a week's time, that's why. And I have not packed yet... no no I can't pack now either. I still got lots to do.... (hmm not supposed to blog either actually hahahaha) But I cannot resist knowing how Storm get their names. What if babies follow such name calling system too??

0 comments: