Latest Art Work

Monday, April 26, 2010

5 years experience or 5 1-year experience?

I am beginning to feel that my job search is a learning process in disguise. Not only do I learn from agents, I learn from interviewers too.

Haha actually today's interview should be a failure. I was already surprised when they called to meet me as I felt they need someone more experienced. And in the beginning, he did frighten me with his demeanour and his questions. But when he explain what he is looking for and I know I would not dare accept the position, the conversation turned light-hearted.

At first I had no question since is a mis-fit but he wanted to give me some advice on what I should be finding i.e. Programming job. I guessed my face must have betrayed me as he said but this may not be what I am looking for. He went on to tell me about his ex-manager taking 1 year to find another job. I remember an agent did tell me why I took so long is because I am no longer a fresh graduate where I will accept any offers that come along. With experience comes expectation and that takes time to match. But of course I hope that I will not accept any job out of desperation though. Hmm shouldn't be the case as I trust myself haha.

Then he told me about some people could have 10 years experience but if he was just repeating his duties for the last 5 years, he might only have 5 years of actual experience. He quantified for me that I probably only had 2 years experience in my first perm job and I should have leave on my third year. Apparently he seems to know my ex-company well enough to know how messy their processes merged with legacy systems and their resistance to change. Amazing! So it had been a right choice when I first tendered. Unfortunately I was not resolved enough but it's ok, I don't regret the extra 1 year.

Anyway talking to him is like talking to a mentor. And he said he is like conversing with his children as we share the same age. Felt he would be a good boss as he aimed for his employees to learn something every year so that they have the full qualified experience. And thus even when he asked them to go, they chose to stay for the environment and the knowledge sharing. Haha he really is an interesting boss and thus it is a pity he had filled up his analyst positions which is what I am looking for actually. Not sure if I will pass his interview then though haha.

To conclude, I will remember from now onwards to make each year an experienced year. And I think I have enough of interviews even though I would not miss this for its enriching conversation. One more interview and I want to conclude already. I have even thought of the theme of the post once my conclusion is made.

0 comments: