Latest Art Work

Sunday, March 28, 2010

A long awaited encounter with Buddha

It is the time of the year once again. A year ago, auntie told me that in Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastry (KMSPKS) lies one of Asia's largest Buddha. At that time, she suggested I come back for a vegetarian meal and visit the Buddha. But a year passed by me and I never did make time to drive to KMSPKS. So when mum asked if I want to follow her for tomb sweeping, I decided I better agree and then try to find time to visit the Buddha while praying.

So i sacrificed my Sunday training (I totally stopped training this week sigh. Hopefully I can finish the Italy planning today before I konked out.) and sleep to catch sunrise in KMSPKS haha.


Besides this time, I have lumix with me so time to update photos. Took some repeated shots, skipped some sights. And due to time constraint missed some sight still. So what did I accomplished this trip?

First I learnt from auntie who suddenly explained the reason for choosing block 6 because it will remind my aunties due to the old address. Somehow now that I am typing this post, I suddenly thought it might also bring some familarity for my grandparents.

Then auntie tell me that she chose KMSPKS because for temple, the land is only 5 years renewable. But here due to it being a tourist attraction, it is freehold. Google search tell me that this is one of the largest Buddhist Monasteries of Singapore in present times. It had originally started out as a remote temple intended to propagate the Dharma and provide lodging for monks who came to Singapore without any arrangements. (Not sure about the land deed though. Too lazy to research “p.)

1920 Venerable Zhuan Dao expressed his desire to construct such a temple which took one year to complete construction and commenced as the first traditional Chinese forest monastery in Singapore and later become one of the most well known international Buddhist hub.

After founder Venerable Zhuan Dao expired in 1943, in 1947 Venerable Hong Choon became the monastery's abbot. He is well known due to his success in expanding the monastery.

After his death, Venerable Hong Choon Memorial Hall, a four-storeyed building was built in honour of Venerable Hong Choon. It resembles a huge ship and consists of the kitchen, dining hall, a meditation hall, Hall of No-Form and offices for Dharma propagation and activities. And the Hall of No Form is my main agenda as it has one of the largest and most spectacular bronze image of Buddha rising to a height of 13.8 metres and weighing 55 tons.



Other landmarks I took (again for some):

Pagoda of 10,000 Thousand Buddha : The roof of the pagoda has a golden stupa that is symbolic of the Buddha's sharp piercing wisdom. Within, there is one of the largest bronze image of Medicine Buddha in Southeast Asia. Also seen are the thousands of small Buddha images. I did not even went in for this one... sigh...


Statue of Guanyin : The statue stands the Dharma Hall and the Pagoda of 10,000 Buddhas.
I still remember the first time I came KMSPKS and caught sight of Guanyin Buddha. Told my mum I don't think will get lost if I catch sight of the Buddha next year. Up till now, yup I haven't got too lost. In fact I am getting familarised with this place after today's exploration.


My mum was rushing me so I did not take any more good photos that are worthy to be published. Probably the next time? But here's a recap of what I did not take...

Bodhi Tree : The sapling of this tree was brought from the sacred Bodhi tree at Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka. The latter was itself brought as a spaling from the sacred Bodhi Tree of Bodh Gaya, India. It was under the sacred Bodhi tree of Bodh Gaya that Lord Buddha attained enlightenment. Actually I have no idea how to take this tree.. but I was sorely tempted to hide under it and see if I can attain enlightenment (except Mum probably will drag me home.. or rather I have to follow her home as I'm not sure of the way back haha... Oh wait, if I attain enlightenment, I don't need to know the way back right? )

Hall of Amrta Vinaya (Precepts) : This is the hall where monks and nuns receive their precepts, guidelines for leading a peaceful life while spreading happiness in teh society.

Bell And Drum Tower : As per the name, this building has a bell and a drum. Everyday, in the morning, the bell is rung followed by the drum, each 108 times. In the evening, the process is repeated, nonetheless in opposite sequence. The sound of the bell and drum, it is believed, wards off troubles and adds to the wisdom.
Unfortunately the drum tower was closed when I was touring.


Dharma Hall : The two storey structure has a lecture hall on the ground floor with a Burmese-styled Buddha image and a library on the upper floor housing Buddhist scriptures and literatures.

Sairira Stupa : This one is dedicated to the founder abbot of the temple Venerable Zhuan Dao. Devotees walk clockwise around the stupa to pay their respect to the revered founder.



Hall of Great Strength : The hall is dedicated to the historical Buddha, Shakyamuni. Above His image, a higher sign reads, "The Precious (or Treasure) Hall of Great Magnificence or 'Great Strength' or 'Great Hero'." A lower sign reads "Teacher of Men and Gods". A glass stupa in front of the image of Buddha preserves some of His relics gifted to the temple by a well known temple of Sri Lanka. The Image of Buddha is surrounded by an image of Amitabha Buddha (behind), young Arahant Venerable Ananda (right) and an elder Arahant, Maha Kashyapa (left). The image of Amitabha Buddha has Avalokiteshvara or Guanyin Bodhisattva on the left and Mahasthamaprapta or Dashizi Bodhisattva on the right. Along with Amitabha Buddha, Guanyin Bodhisattva and the Maha Kashyapa form the trio called "The 3 Saints of the Western Paradise (Pureland)."

Before I left, the Hall of Great Compasion is my last stop. Also known as the The Mahakaruna, the hall is dedicated to the great compassionate virtues of Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva or Guanyin. An image of Guanyin Bodhisattva with 1000 arms and eyes is right in the centre of the hall. It is flanked by Samantabhadra (Pu Xian) Bodhisattva with an elephant on the right. The bodhisattva is symbolic of perfected diligent practice of all Bodhisattvas and Buddhas and his elephant stands for the steadfastness and strength in the Bodhisattva's practice of the six perfections. Also standing close to Guanyin are Skana Bodhisattva and Sangharama Bodhisattva, both of whom are Dharma protectors. To the left, is an image of Manjushri bodhisattva.

0 comments: