Latest Art Work

Monday, April 02, 2007

Bright Hill Crematorium





Yesterday was the first time I went to Bright Hill Crematorium. Ever since my maternal grandparents moved from Aljunied to Bright Hill Crematorium, I have never visited them once. Sigh, I feel so unfilial.

清明时节雨纷纷,路上行人欲断魂。
借问酒家何处有?牧童遥指杏花村。
----(唐)杜 牧

And yesterday is a rainy day. It drizzles when we were about to reach the place. And due to the jam, we alighted earlier and walk a distance to the crematorium. Then we start preparing the stuff; display the food, packed the money and clothes for my maternal grandparents. It is quite amazing to see so many small photos displayed in this hall that was meant for praying.



As the day got brighter, more and more people arrived. We went through a few rounds of praying, and had a priest chant for my grandparents. We also went to visit and clean the tomb.



Then we went to another place to burn the offerings. It was like a burning furnace.



Then we had vegetarian noodle for lunch and headed home. The bus was delayed for almost an hour due to the heavy traffic in that area. And it started drizzling again. Guess that rain is really an essential sign during such festival.



I’m glad to have visited my grandparents. I know they loved me when I was young. It only seemed like yesterday where I can still vividly remember my weekly visits to them. I really wonder how they are coping at the other side.

0 comments: