Latest Art Work

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Watch the Sky of Love in a Leap Year…

When stressed, I do the most illogical things. And this semester, I did far too many illogical things to the extent; I think I might still surprise myself further. Anyway I watch Sky of Love and Leap Year last month so this is a much backdated post.

To trace back, it was a Monday when I cancelled a planned arrangement to watch the movie “Sky of Love” with another person. I rarely cancel arrangement last minute but that was really fate because in the end my friend had to cheer his gf who had a bad work day and needed some humouring hee hee. Told him I am psychic “p

I was told the story will be touching and I would cry. Let’s say the moment the story begin, I roughly guess the flow.. and towards the middle portion, I know what the whole story line is already. But that doesn’t stop me from sobbing slightly.. because it is a simple innocent love, the kind which my friend said you can never find here… maybe? This movie did not leave a very deep impression on me because the storyline is mediocre thus not much thoughts were invoked. And given that I’m writing this a month plus later, I kinda forgot the feel too. Just felt that most high school relationships don’t last but they might be the most memorable as I recalled the personal encounters my friends recounted and experienced.

A week later, I can’t exactly remember the events that made me stressed and upset. But I just wanted to watch Leap Year. Maybe the response given reinforced my desire to watch it. I mean I can understand when my friend rather watch Sky of Love than Leap Year because of his penchant towards Jap stuff… but him.. such a response hardly made me want to continue that conversation which I had initiated… Maybe it is a subtle rejection.. who knows? who cares? I do.. but I also learn that sometimes one dare not hope anymore because of the disappointment it brings time and again. I think after that incident, I refrain from getting myself embroiled in such situation again…

Anyway it was a Thursday I think when I chose to watch it. I had actually asked XDD if the movie is good because he is a movie critic. But he said he haven’t caught it and said can watch together. It caught me by surprise because we weren’t that close that time still.. just mindless chatting while waiting… It was even more amazing that I tried to challenge with time by rushing back to Tampines to see if can catch the evening movie instead of the night one.. which means having dinner later but heading home earlier. Think I was rushing a particular assignment though I can’t recall which one.




(The picture was from the website.. I like the Singapore Flyer... hmm.. maybe I might splurge on this ride... still debating... But seeing my parents took a similar ride in Osaka changed my mind that I should try it.. except their ride was so much cheaper)

Surprisingly, we were pretty punctual. The movie started with schoolgirls wondering about their future partner and the female protagonist being foretold that it has something to do with the wind, and the blue image. When she was sixth (she was born on 29th Feb) she met her first love and wrote poem on an Irish tradition to ask him to partake with her. When she was seven, they gate crash a wedding because she says weddings make her happy. When she was eight, she lied to him that her daughter happened to love the sponge cake in the café that they first met each other. When she was ninth, she no longer hold on her tenacious belief that one should only fall in love with the special someone, and that settling down really just means.. settling down.

A lot of people (including XDD) criticize the elder Chinese male as being far from the male protagonist especially since the mole has disappeared. Would it surprise you if I said I did not notice that, and that my entire focus is on the female only? I guess human only want to see what we want to see, or at least I did that haha. The songs were also melodious because they were sung by Corrinne May (partly why I wanted to watch it). And the quotes that were spewed while the narration continues were beautiful…

It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves
- William Shakespeare

Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous
- Albert Einstein

A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it
- Jean de La Fontaine

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on
- Robert Frost

If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life.
- Oscar Wilde

I hold it true, whatever befall; I feel it, when I sorrow most; 'tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
- Alfred, Lord Tennyson


Weddings made her happy.. somehow when one is young, she tends to be more reckless and do the stuff that she is happy.. imagine gate crashing into a wedding as one such reckless action. Hmm kinda finds the explanation of my illogical actions.. so long I’m happy right? Unsure… Will there be repercussions? Will there be scars? She was scarred badly after her seventh birthday. So was her good friend whom carries a torch for her all these years. The most significant thing he said to her in the movie was when he explain that he know X is the one for him, when X make him forget her. It really makes sense… And when the female protagonist finally realized the significance of Wind (which happen to be my favourite element too) and how impatient she had been… somehow it got me thinking about my own impatience.

Oh ya, there was a part where the female protagonist was given a windmill and her immediate reaction is to blow it.. of which XDD suddenly look at me and said he can imagine me doing the exact same thing.. ZZZZ.. Then another part where I happen to remember my apple in the bag and was happily munching it.. when the scene changed to her eating an apple and chatting with her mum (in Cantonese .. coolz, tried to pick up some phrases haha) .. Haha, no wonder my entire focus was only glued to her. She invokes my thoughts…

Hmm decided to find some Corrinne May’s song to listen… On my way to the path… Accumulating the scars to strengthen myself… is that the reason why I had to be hurt again and again? Whatever.. now I'm just interested in Run, Papa, Run... and Feet Unbound. That reminds me, I remember I wanted to watch another documentary previously... back to surfing... (it was entitled The Kite Runner)

‘Scars (Stronger for Life)’ by Corrinne May

I just want to run
Just want to hide away
Close my eyes to your gaze
Just want to leave
Don’t want to hear them say
“You’re no good at this”

When the world swirls with naysayers
Broken wings and torn pages
The road ahead
Drowning in my tears

Break me open
Tear me down
Into pieces
Broken crumbs
On the ground
You can mould and shape me
In your image
Breathe your life
You know I need it
Scars make us stronger for life

Losing myself
Gaining it back again
Forging strength from weakness
All that I am
All that I’m meant to be
Melting in your hand

Let the world swirl with naysayers
Pickled hearts and sour faces
What is real is what I cannot see

Cut away
All within me
That won’t bear fruit
Cut away
All within me

Scars make us stronger for life

“On My Way" Corrinne May

I’m far away from what I’ve known
And there’s static on the radio
Just a girl in a car on a lonely highway
I’ve been up and down this winding road
It’s getting dark, the stores are closed
The map is wrinkled, my coffee’s turned to grey

But I’m on my way, I’m on my way
There seems to be no end in sight
But I know I’ll be alright
‘Cos I’m on my way, I’m on my way
Sweet embrace, I’m on my way

So many beat-up cars on this dirt road
I see them sputter and start to choke
How many miles must I go till I rest in your grace
I feel like giving up and letting go
Let the world invade my mind, my soul
Will this road make me, a sinner or a saint

But I’m on my way, I’m on my way
There seems to be no end in sight
But I know I’ll be alright
‘Cos I’m on my way, I’m on my way
Don’t give up on me, I’m on my way

I can picture your smiling face
Your arms stretched to hold me
Waiting there by the gate
If I ever get lost
I know that you’ll find me
There’s a cross on a hill saying
“Do not be afraid.”

I’m on my way
If I keep you in my sight
I know I’ll be alright

0 comments: