Latest Art Work

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Thought of the day

My dad’s phone had automatically adjusted to GMT +9 because it detected that it was in Osaka… and when he came back SG, even though the time zone went back GMT +8, whatever messages we sent to him was late by an hour. After some serious findings, he manage to resolve the issue.. but it got me curious on…

1) How did the phone do an automatic time-zone update? Some told me is by entering the cell… Another told me could be tagged to the network since our phone will change network, which will then access the time-zone info. Interesting…

2) If I had specify an appointment in the hand phone at 3pm at country X. Then when I fly over to country X, should the time stay the same as 3pm (obviously should be the case) or will it get adjusted as well? This is a programmer dilemma ??

>> my friend went to clarify with someone on this matter.. apparently she will have a pop up box to ask if need adjustment to local time or not... interesting except this is still a programmer way to solve the problem..by throwing the decision making back to the user...

(and yes.. I think I'm crazy spending my time thinking about this.. because I'm demoralised as my administrator has patched the system but I still have one user unable to view ... been stressed with this problem since the upgrade is completed last week... sighz...)

p/s: the last I heard, my friend's friend got excited about this topic too and was asking around too.. he said he might consider asking a friend workin in telco about it.. haha stay tuned.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! You should have taken the MST class...Your time warp question will be answered... Alternatively you can check out NTP...

M

Butterflygalz said...

what's MST? Mountain Standard Time? Hmm network time protocol is clock sync for Internet.. hmm.. still digesting.

thanks. btw do i know you?

Anonymous said...

aiya .... it is ur tuesday chauffeur... MST = modeling & sim techniques.

Butterflygalz said...

OMG.. can u imagine how loud I exclaimed when I saw your comment. That comment sounded like u (becos it was too techy wahahaha) but I was thinking imposs because I never expect u to drop by.. I'm so shocked haha. Heng I always say thanks to u (and never say anything bad about u "p)

How, I haven't start my security & sw entre exam prep.. zzz... still mulling over my case study. And I think u study too much MST liaoz which is actually GOOD.. be alert for your tues "Smoked" paper kies! But don't smoke too much hor haha..

Next time got any tech qn, shall bug u too =D

Anonymous said...

as mentioned in your blog. Only works if auto-roaming or either telco pay per use. The country's telco will be able to pick up the cell info from the phone and send the appropriate information to the cell phone.

Then again it depends on whether does the phone supports such a function. I assume your dad is using a pda phone, smartphone, blackberry or similar.

i find asking the user whether to switch the timing better as the user will know the change and adjust accordingly.

the time adjustment to schedules should not be change unless there is another option asking to change or not. Again the phone cannot and should not assume when the user first enter the schedules and times, is he entering the local destination time or targeted destination time?

Make a guess who am I =D Just a friend who works in the relevant industry. Able information not from work but because of the basic technology of how cell phones and roaming works. =P

Butterflygalz said...

After 2 days of asking around which end up making them (almost) visit my blog instead, I have given up guessing haha. Who are you haha?

Whoever you are, thanks for dropping by and enlightening me. Yupz my friend have confirmed with me too that the timezone is embedded in the GSM network but that's where the problem starts. Basically it is a sticky issue haha

1) Different networks used different standards
2) The appointment bug is a software problem, not a telco problem. But it is usually because Microsoft outlook is the cause by providing the advance feature of "helping" people to migrate the appointment when there's a change in timezone
3) People don't ask which network the phone supports when they buy the phone. They only realise if the time adjustment works or not after travelling to another timezone.

Oh btw the appointment problem I read it from a forum where someone complained about missing his appointment due to the auto adjustment. My friend also recounted a friend's experience of missing the flight because of this issue... haha guess it is a 越帮越忙 (too helpful for one's good) scenario. My dad's phone is just a normal Nokia phone.. think they have this feature for their latest phone. Hmm the last I read, blackberry don't have this feature but don't quote me because I was just reading someone grousing why blackberry don't have this feature.

Haha really grateful for all who bother to entertain me with my this little thought of the day... yeah enjoy the public holiday tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

oh haha.

sorry for the mass disturbance to your friends. Bernard here =D

as I only check your blog every Monday and yesterday I am on leave so I am only able to reply now! Haha.

Hope you still remember me~!