Latest Art Work

Monday, February 11, 2008

Self-discipline - Price tag of leadership

Reference: My previous post on John C. Maxwell - Developing The Leader Within You

I am only one,
But still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
But still I can do something;
And because I cannot do everything
I will not refuse to do the
Something that I can do.

I have been thinking what the test is this round? 3 days in school, the codes half baked. The due date is in 3 weeks time. If things don’t work out well, I have 5 days to consider if I should drop this module. And if things work out well, I got 1 week to consider registering for my paper in December. Everything hinges on this lab. When I look through the timeline, my first thought was – GA does love me afterall else why such good planning haha.

My ECA mate had told me don’t be too ambitious because the paper is tough. This is why I had postponed taking it end of the year. But he is right, if I can’t clear my last semester, then no point thinking about it.

Then that day, I happen to hear a particular podcast on leadership. It is said that leaders don’t always do the stuff they like. Sometimes they do the stuff they don’t really like, but they know it will help them. That is self-discipline. And maybe this time, it is not strength but discipline that I’m being trained for. I am very ill-disciplined. It is hard for me to concentrate and I tend to become impatient after awhile.

Yesterday, my classmate had thoughts on dropping his module. I’m not sure why he suddenly got “stressed” in the festive mood. Though I know this semester is different from the past 2 years and is most probably foreign for him. I told him I’m persevering since I already burnt my CNY for it… as for him, he has to understand why he has thoughts to give up.

But I suddenly thought about Mei’s blog on school drop-out. And I jokingly told him that if I really give up, I most probably will drop school and make sure my career will be as famous as Bill Gates… haha. Hmm if I do preserve, of course I will then look up to Larry Page as an idol liao haha.

Self-discipline is really very tough especially so for an impatient person like me. I think I shall take a break from my lab today.. time to read up on another module …

0 comments: