Latest Art Work

Sunday, February 10, 2008

CNY Musing

My symptom of stress is easily detectable - when I started feverishly playing a certain internet game. And this time it is (fluff)Friends from Facebook.

I created Ashlyn on 26th Sept 2007 to remind myself of my vision. But when (fluff)Race started, I never once bothered about her nor train her. Thus for all these months, she has been losing battles.

Things started to change on 1st day of CNY. If I compared my first day of CNY with the previous years, it does look like nothing much has changed. But this year CNY is indeed different. Maybe that is why Ashlyn changed at this time too.

As usual on the first day we will visit the usual places. This year I got the chance to visit one of my cousin’s new flat which is quite cosy. Then at my uncle’s house, I chatted with one of the cousin about her childcare job. And she was telling me how some parents neglect their children. Sigh is childcare the right solution for the working parents? With questions like “Why is the childcare not operating on Sunday and Public Holiday” or “Why is it half day on CNY eve?” or “Why do you only provide breakfast, lunch and tea? What about dinner?”. Do you not want to spare some time with your children at all? Why do you think it is a hassle to look after your own children and keep claiming you want to rest, or you are busy on CNY eve too. The childcare people are also people who has family that needs them, and they too need to go back to look after their family. Sigh!

Chatted briefly with other cousins too so at least my first day of CNY is still very festive. But by night-time I suddenly felt stressed especially due to certain condition, and I ended up surfing Facebook. That is when I realized how neglected Ashlyn had been and I decided to feed her and train her up in the race. Initially I was clumsy in the game and wasted unnecessary “munny” because I couldn’t grasp the betting portion. I realized gambling is not for me in the end because I kept losing (a lot) and ended up working hard for my “munny” by petting other people’s pet. Then I kept feeding Ashlyn with food that will power her up. As usual, I got addicted fast enough to spend the whole night doing the same cycle that the application had to verify that I am not a “botter”.

So much so the next day, my friend commented “Wow.... Finally Ashlyn is flipping....” haha… and I replied I hope to catch up with his pet haha..

I guess that addiction is to balance myself bah. Because on the 2nd day, I decided to go gym then school to do my lab already. And I have to say my lab session on that day was pretty demoralising partly due to the fact that my dad called me to tell me that we had relatives visiting and yet I’m stuck in school. Gosh, this is the first time I had to sacrifice CNY for school, and I hope it is the last because it really is lonely in the lab. Even the corridors seem so quiet....

Initially I had wanted to head home because once again, I have problem accessing the building. But there were some guys nearby and I asked one of them if he could let me access the building which he obliged, thankfully. (To my brother: I finally figured out why you have ended up in SOC.. so that I can borrow your card to access the building for the next few days haha). Then my torturous lab session began. Haha.

<-- Stairways to "Hell"?? Joking.. just that my lab is in a basement so.. In the midst, I think the TA came too although I had initially thought he is a student when he asked me if he can restart the server. Then when he said he needed to do something at my computer, it puzzled me. Till he said he had to do for 12 pcs manually did it suddenly occur to me that he could be the TA. Gosh and he had asked me if I have problem with the lab and I replied (truthfully) that my biggest problem is I don’t know how to do. Then he told me to check out a site which I said I did already and that I will definitely code something out. I had thought he was a student … zzz… But he was nice because he came back after updating all the computers and gave me some pointers. He told me last year’s assignment was much worst.. gosh.. and I’m already sweating for this one. However his pointers were useless because that day, I couldn’t even connect to the device. And with no connection, nothing could be done. By 6, I decided to give up especially when another student told me that she did manage to connect to the device, just that she couldn’t read the contents. I concluded that I must be stupid and thought I should head home for dinner. I kinda broke down at home though when my mum commented that she was so busy trying to entertain the guests and I wasn’t around. I did not know my cousins were coming along too but if I have a choice, I rather be at home chatting with them then being the only Chinese in the lab. I wasn’t even in talking mood with DK and Doc. But I’m glad that DK made it a group chat.. at least it was fun to read his banter with Doc while I watched Dreamgirls – A simple story, an open ending and beautiful songs. Anyway yesterday was much more fruitful. I asked the TA why I couldn’t connect to the device at all and thankfully he actually replied my mail. I realised that I have been compiling wrongly. I guess my mood got better then even though I still couldn’t decipher the contents. I left the lab in a better mood, thankfully as I was heading to a friend’s house and I did not want to feel depressed 2 nights in a row. <-- In a better mood that I actually caught this beautiful scenery... I was also grateful that Pte had offered to pick me from school. At least I managed to salvage some festive mood while in my friend’s house (I always like visiting new place). Oh and their house is so warm and cosy. Watched their marriage video and honeymoon photos (time flies sia.. they just got married last month only.. and I’m seeing them again haha).. as well as their past expedition photos. They are quite a model couple because they share the same interests in touring and outdoor activities. Very lovely (and loving) couple haha. Even lau yu-sheng with them.. come to think of it, last night was the first time I lau yu-sheng for this year because I missed it on the first day as there were too many people and I was chatting with my cousin. Haven’t done it with my family yet.. and colleagues one should be on Thursday. Haha.. Oh ya before that, Pte had driven to West Coast McDonalds.. K i know I sound very "mountain tortoise" but that is one place I wanted to go but never got a chance. And I did not realise it is so close to school. Caught a few pictures too...



Do hope today will be able to code more. Sighz supposedly 4 days of CNY and I am spending 3 days in school… Argh it is really depressing.. but I guess if I don’t sacrifice my CNY, it would be work that I have to sacrifice.. and I think Pte also commented it is a waste..

Hmm.. on a bright note, Ashlyn looks so much more tough.. and she is my vision so yeah I should be able to overcome it…

0 comments: