Latest Art Work

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Nanking 2007

Links: Moi Photos of Nanking Memorial Hall

Hmm I think I’m in a documentary mood. Yesterday I was watching Nanking 2007. It was about the Nanking Massacre. I had been to Nanking before, 2 years ago (hmm coincidentally). I still remember the tour guide teary eyes when she brought us to the Nanjing Massacre Memorial Hall. I know the existence of this massacre. But I did not know about the Nanking Safety Zone. Yesterday’s movie saddens me and yet motivates me. Such is the paradox of me.

George Fitch, missionary. Bob Wilson, only surgeon remaining to care for legions of victims. John Rabe, German businessman. And Minnie Vautrin, missionary educator who passionately defends the lives and honor of Nanking's women during the war time. Their courage is something I would never possess. They could have left Nanking but they chose to stay. They could not bear to let the civilians suffer. They tried within their capacity to set up the safety zone, a zone to protect the city’s civilians from the Japanese forces. A zone that the Japanese force did respect to a certain extent.

The film had used original interviews of Chinese survivors who told their own stories. The film had lots of black and white archival footage of the events and the testimonials of Japanese soldiers who participated in the rampage.

Actually, I’m at a loss of words to describe this movie. The scenes haunt me. Their true life encounters frighten me. I have always been interested in history, the 2 world wars, the civil war. But textbook has never really dealt with the emotional side, it is factual by nature. And this movie showed me the other side not seen or taught. How a lady shave her head to pretend to be a male. How another lady allow herself to be shamed to save her grandpa.

War brings out the beast in mankind. War also brings out the angel in mankind. Is it the fate of Nanking to suffer? And yet God had alleviated their suffering with the set up of the safety zone and the strength of the few foreigners who really did their best. They saved about 50,000 - 250,000 lives despite the ongoing massacre, despite the fact that from time to time the Japanese would enter the Safety Zone at will and carry off a few hundred men and women to kill or rape them. Each time they watched helplessly and powerless to stop the atrocities. They felt guilty for not able to do more. Minnie Vautrin committed suicide a few years later, haunted by the images and the guilt.

I think I will re-watch the movie again after my exams, as I had missed some parts because I was running it in background only. Sigh, my heart feels so heavy still.

3 comments:

Simple Calculator said...

Hi Arielm,

I am banwei from TheLocalKing, you have some nice movies postings on your blog. I found them very interesting...

Would you be interested to post them onto thelocalking so that more people can read/share your reviews.

Cheers,
BanWei
http://www.thelocalking.com/banwei

Butterflygalz said...

Hiya,

Haven't log in thelocalking for quite some time already... thanks for the reminder. Posted this Nanking entry in there.. Yeah must spread more awareness of this movie. The producer is very keen to make this movie known to as many (Chinese) people as possible.

Merry Xmas =D

Simple Calculator said...

Hi Arielm,

Thank you!

I read the book "Rape of Nanking" written by Iris Chang few years ago.

Haven't got time to go and watch this movie. After reading your post, I think I must go & watch it now =)

Merry Xmas too!

Cheers,
BanWei