Latest Art Work

Monday, November 12, 2007

先逃到很高的地方

Extracted from my previous post :
逃到很远的地方前
先逃到很高的地方
Thus this couple likes to take the lift to DLI (Daehan Life Insurance) 63 Building (63 빌딩 or 육삼 빌딩). The lift up to the storey seems so long and arduous, that they tend to have quite a lot of missed chances. Hmm… but I think to go to one of the highest building and have a panorama view is indeed a wise choice. When you see how small the surroundings are, you will realise your worries are insignificant. Besides that building seems like a pretty place to go, I hope to go there one day too.

One day when I decided to go somewhere far, I must remember to first visit somewhere high…

On 11/11/2007 (11th Nov 2007), I finally visited somewhere high.
Aim to reach the 73rd storeys,
Aim to climb 1,336 steps,
Aim to see the helipad of Swissôtel The Stamford.

When I registered this, it was in September, near my birthday. 2 months later, I had only trained like 6 times in gym. And the step machine is really different from the actual marathon. But Swissôtel The Stamford was a place that had fascinated me since young with its famous revolving Compass Rose restaurant. Sadly, I had only took the lift up once and did not loiter long as I was a young then (and couldn't afford a meal there haha).

Some say I spend money to suffer. Some say I am mad. But yesterday, I'm definitely not the only one that is mad right haha. Except that I agree I really pushed myself to the limit. On Thursday, I thought I had completed most of the assignment due and from Thursday onwards, I should sleep sufficiently for the marathon. But Friday, I realised that I had done some sections wrongly. And I had an online group discussion to attend, thus it dragged till very late at night. Then Saturday was another long day as the discussion kept droning on... and I couldn't submit the report by the end of the day. And before I knew it, it was the day of the marathon.

Actually I was worried. I had joined the Open category randomly. And decided I should have registered for my age instead as the open category has many well prepared runners. I saw the Australian lady being interviewed as well as the defending champion for Men's open and the 2 men from Kenya who confidently said they will finish in 6 minutes & 6 minutes 20 secs. Haha they were more confident than the defending champion because the defending champion had just completed some marathon recently and do seemed tired. I was pretty worried I will freak out and just head home. Especially when time seems to keep dragging as there were just too many participants and women's open is the second last category to start.

Surprisingly, before I knew it, it was time for women's open participants to get ready. One had to “run” to the stairways before starting the climb although I was kinda lazy and just jog to the stairways. Initial levels were still bearable but as the conditions were really different from the step machine, I started having problem from level 10+ unlike the step machine where I only had problem at level 20+. One thing for sure, the stairs were not automatic moving like the step machine. And one had to keep walking a distance to go to the next floor, much like HDB stairs. But HDB stairs one had to take lift a few times to really climb up 73 storeys thus giving one a chance to rest. I only tried that once because I felt stupid taking the lift 5/6 times haha. Anyway my block is not suitable to train because certain levels smelt badly due to public vandalism.

Many a times, I did thought of giving up. But that means I never succeeded in escaping to somewhere high. And I refuse to admit defeat because I really want to escape to somewhere far one day. Then there were times I saw people resting at a certain level and thought of doing the same. However I was worried that I might not be able to restart my engine once I stopped it. Sometimes, I let people overtake me. Sometimes I overtake people (my dad was shocked when I told him I overtook people haha.) Usually I silently wish these people strength to finish anyway, though got once I verbally wished someone Jia You because that was initial stages where I still had energy. Wonder did she make it to the top?

Being first timer, I really don’t know what to expect. I remember a kind man, who was encouraging this lady who is also her first time taking part, advising not to climb 2 steps at a go, especially not at the end. And I guessed after 10+ levels, I indeed just slowly climb 1 step at a time. It was quite arduous and slow though and I had to mentally tell myself to finish a certain level, much like little milestones. And while I almost wanted to break into a run on the 70th level, I restrained myself because I was worried my energy will just depleted and I will never complete it.

Anyway the view was pretty. Being so high up, one can really see far. It does reminds me of the times I went to Tokyo Metropolitan Centre and Tokyo Tower to see Japan. Except Swissôtel’s is still not tall enough to see much.



It’s been a day since I was up there. After that climb, I had went back to school to submit the assignment and explore The Central (which is really a haphazard building although I like the Singapore River day and night view). And all these while, my legs had not really hurt as much as I (and my mum) expected haha. Luckily! Just that I’m in a sick of steps mood and was dragging myself to climb the 3 storeys to my office this morning. Maybe it will hurt tomorrow? Unsure?

Now, to plan for my escapade to somewhere far, where nobody can find me anymore…


如果我可以让别人来取代你
是不是我就能不伤心
只是 我愿意寂寞 爱著感应

- Lyrics from 《感应》 by 泳儿

0 comments: