Latest Art Work

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Mooncake Festival 2007

I'm typing this while on the bus home. Ever since I brought my lappie out for a walk last Saturday, I'm addicted to use it while on the bus home. The only problem is I keep concussing while trying to study or type report. In fact for the past 1 hour, I had actually fallen asleep in a typing posture. Yikes! Thus I decided maybe I should type out my post on moon cake (which I had wanted to do last night except I was quite brain dead by the time I got home.) Anyway it seems to be working as I'm not so sleepy already. Guess reports are indeed harder to type. Oh and coincidentally, I awoke at the entrance of Aston's Specialities in East Coast haha. Maybe it is an omen that I should try that restaurant out one day? But the long queue had put me off.

Anyway my friend had wanted to check out the moon cake fair in Takashimaya on Friday and I was tempted! I had wanted to bring my camera along for fun too but was too concussed on Friday morning to remember about it. In the end I had to settle with my hand phone to do the job. Times like this, I really don’t regret buying my handphone.

We first check out the Marriott Hotel’s moon cake. I tried the Strawberry Yoghurt Moon cake and the blueberry cheese moon cake (latest creation) . The strawberry one was too sweet in my opinion so I changed my mind to buy it. As for the blueberry one, it was cheesy indeed! I mention to my classmates about this and they joke that maybe it is a cheesecake trying to pass of as a moon cake. Indeed it does not really taste very moon-cakish. But then it is not alone. While in the fair, I had seen some really weird moon cakes. They were either extra colourful or extra odd looking like this from Beccarino.

The next stop was the Moon cake fair.
Gosh it sure is crowded. And the very first shop we saw is Kee Wah selling Hong Kong goodies that left my friend “fuming” haha. Because it was selling much cheaper than what she had bought (from Hong Kong) last year. Guess next time I know where to get my Hong Kong souvenirs for people already haha.

The next shop, Rivon by Whitelink was also selling gifts too. Haha maybe some people don't want to give moon cakes, prefer to give biscuits and such instead. The guy was funny to ask us buy and keep the box as make-up box... hmm...


I lingered pretty long at the Conrad - Golden Peony because of its cranberry and wolfberry moon cake. I was very curious about it and in the end, they were the only mooncakes I bought. I bought one of each flavour (Sweet Potato Pastry, Mini Snowskin with Jasmine, Mini Snowskin with Cranberry and Mini Snowskin with Wolfberry).

And the person pack it nicely into 2 small boxes like this

I saw Goodwood Park’s chempedak paste moon cake and yam paste with red date moon cake too. Reminded me that I had bought it last year.. and that so fast, it is the time of the year again. Sighz. Anyway they were so-so. People tend to give the D24 durian paste good reviews but my parents were not impressed (not because they have high taste though).

Also saw Tunk Lok moon cakes and I like this mini moon cake packaging
Not forgetting those famous bird nest moon cakes


and Mini Snowskin with Golden Grapes with Chocolate Chips from Li Bai (Pretty Yummy, just that I did not want to buy 1 box home)

and Durian Moon cake from Home's Favourites


and whiskey mooncake e.g. Ritz Carlton - Mini Bing-Pi Strawberry Vodka Moon cake (I think I did not get the chance to try it though)


and cute little moon cake motifs from Hua Yue Ting.


Overall, I think this fair is just average because there were more unknown names than those hotel names (as compared to last year).


I think I shall head to my area later to see the moon cakes.

Back for 2nd half, Century Square is giving out cute little tea light lanterns for the occasion.

As quoted from their site : Simply spend $50* and get a specially designed tea-light lantern. Available in red or green. Limited to one redemption per customer per day.

While I did not manage to try the Bakerzin in Taka that day, I tried the Truffle Mini Snow Skin Moon cake (Brandied Cherry) this time here. It was pretty delicious. Tempted to buy but I suspect if I buy one box, I might end up getting drunk (joking... just that my parents after trying the Conrad one already scold me for wasting money.. so hmm... shall see how tempted I am bah)


The mini snowskin moon cake filled with Japanese sweet potato paste and champagne chocolate from Intercontinental - Man Fu Yuan is also quite interesting.


Oh ya I just realised that I forgot to visit the Raffles the Plaza in Taka that day. Sianz. I had wanted to try the Szechuan's Mini Snow-Skin Lychee sob sob. Hopefully I can catch it again in Tampines Mall bah. Oh and a lot of people seems to be commenting on their cheong-sam packaging hmm..


Anyway this post is just my Humble Opinion. I also have no reason why I wanted to blog about Moon cake this time round especially since all the moon cakes that I have reviewed were not particularly enticing to me namely because my mum only likes to eat Teochew Yam Mooncake from Garden Pastry (which is really good lah.. but I don't have the picture at the moment) and because I'm not a mooncake lover. I prefer the pomelos that tags along for this festival haha...

Disclaimer : All images are from the relevant sites or pamphlets that I had collected on that day or were taken by me though that is rare haha.

0 comments: