Latest Art Work

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Simpson and Saving Gaia

For someone who doesn’t like Homer Simpson or Bart Simpson, I watch this entirely for Lisa’s sake. I saw the part where she went around every door to create awareness to save the environment and decided it should be an interesting movie.

Lisa had successfully managed to make the residents in Springfield clean up their Lake Springfield. Unfortunately (as usual), Homer had to create a disaster by throwing waste into the lake and causing their government to create a reason to eliminate Springfield. Anyway end of the day; it will definitely be a happy ending.

Interestingly the movie had dealt with the weird father-son relationship between Homer and Bart and for once I see Bart in a different light. At least he is not so irritating. However I still like Lisa best. She is someone who goes out her way to achieve her goal which is to make everybody aware of the measures they can take to save the environment. I like her courage, her persistence and her determination. And is this movie, she is lucky to find another person who shares her belief. When they first met, each was completing each other’s half finished facts. It is actually quite amusing haha.

Then 2 days ago, I was watching an episode of Saving Gaia and started pondering about some stuff. Shows like Simpson showed that an inconsiderate and careless single act can cause a disaster. Maybe it is a movie thus it got exaggerated. Maybe it is true that sometimes, in real life, a single act could really cause a disastrous effect?

In that episode of Saving Gaia, they were talking about solar power and how much electricity they saved. The weird part about me is I was seeing how much water they were wasting when the lady was watering her plants at the start of the episode. And then there is another part where the guy was washing his face and he had left the tap running throughout the whole process. In the end I did not complete the episode (because I needed to return the TV to my mum haha) but I kept thinking, am I too extreme at times?

I have been chided many times on report formatting by my project mate. I realized to make a report more readable, more spaces must be allocated. I had even went to research if 2 spacing is really compulsory for proper report formatting but decided to just rest the case because sometimes, I’m also unsure where my limits should be. It hurts when papers have to be shredded even before they can be recycled because they were confidential papers but I know it is better to shred them immediately when discarded. And there are times I know I waste paper too by printing them out because it makes reading easier. Where my limit should goes? I don’t really like my reaction whenever I hear people print 60 or 120 pages. I don’t like my reaction when I see people not printing double sided due to certain reasons, certain valid reasons which I will just override based on my initial reaction. I still remember once a friend wanted me to print quite a thick bulk of document and I vehemently refused and question how much will he read. Reflecting that incident, I really wonder, do I react too much to the extreme at times?

I was re-watching Spirited Away and remember this scene where Xiao Qian had to remove some object from this wealthy river spirit and what she pulled out in the end is a whole chunk of discarded rubbish. When he is cleaned, he was so relieved. If we manage to save Gaia, will she feel relieved too?

Sometimes everybody just needs to do one careless act to pollute the environment. And sometimes, I am just over-reacting.. Sighz I really don’t know, I really don’t know how to save this earth. Ok maybe I do know everybody is putting some effort.. guess it is just my problem once again…

0 comments: