Latest Art Work

Thursday, June 14, 2007

A Dictionary of Useful Research Phrases

Source : From a CBR lecturer's (Ms. Ong L.S) notes.. chanced upon it while clearing my disk. Amusing because I thought so haha!

Research Phrase : It has long been known...
Translation : I didn't look up the original reference.

Research Phrase : A definite trend is evident...
Translation : These data are practically meaningless.

Research Phrase : Of great theoretical and practical importance...
Translation : Interesting to me.

Research Phrase : While it has not been possible to provide definite answers to these questions...
Translation : An unsuccessful experiment, but I still hope to get it published.

Research Phrase : Three of the samples were chosen for detailed study...
Translation : The results of the others didn't make any sense.

Research Phrase : Typical results are shown...
Translation : The best results are shown.

Research Phrase : These results will be shown in a subsequent report...
Translation : I might get around to this sometime if I'm pushed

Research Phrase : The most reliable results are those obtained by Jones...
Translation : He was my graduate assistant.

Research Phrase : It is believed that...
Translation : I think.

Research Phrase : It is generally believed that...
Translation : A couple of other people think so too.

Research Phrase : It is clear that much additional work will be required before a complete understanding of the phenomenon occurs...
Translation : I don't understand it.

Research Phrase : A careful analysis of obtainable data...
Translation : Three pages of notes were obliterated when I knocked over a glass of beer.

Research Phrase : Correct within an order of magnitude...
Translation : Wrong

Research Phrase : It is hoped that this study will stimulate further investigation in this field...
Translation : This is a lousy paper, but so are all the others on this miserable topic.

Research Phrase : Thanks are due to Ah Tan for assistance with the experiment and to Ah Beng for valuable discussions...
Translation : Ah Tan did the work and Ah Beng explained to me what it meant.

0 comments: