Latest Art Work

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Leg and Toe Cramp

Source :
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/night-leg-cramps/AN00499
http://www.crampshelp.com/toecramps.html

Night leg cramps are contractions of the leg muscles, usually in the back of the lower leg (calf). They often occur just as you're falling asleep or just as you're waking up.

Common causes of night leg cramps include:
• Muscle overexertion
• Prolonged sitting
• Dehydration
• Pregnancy
• Diabetes
• Decreased potassium levels
• Neuromuscular disorders, such as Parkinson's disease
• Certain medications, such as albuterol, niacin, diuretics, and some calcium channel blockers and antipsychotic medications
• Alcohol use

How to ease cramps?
• Walking on the affected leg
• Massaging the affected muscle
• Straightening your leg and flexing your foot toward your knee until you feel the calf muscles stretch
• Applying a cold pack to the affected muscle
• Taking a hot bath

To prevent night leg cramps:
• Drink plenty of fluids during the day.
• Stretch your leg muscles before bedtime.
• Get adequate potassium in your diet.

Toe cramps occur where the toe pointed impossibly and give rise to excruciating pain.

Causes:
• ill-fitting shoes especially high heels
• calcium deficiency (not enough dairy foods, fish with tiny bones e.g. salmon, anchovies and sardines and milk)
• feet have been confined to shoes for hours
Note : Athletes and Yoga newbies might encounter toe cramps.

Prevent:
• Avoid wearing high heels, to work at least; save them for special occasions
• Whenever possible during the day, you should try to remove your shoes and exercise your feet, even if under your desk or on the bus or train. It helps to promote circulation by moving your ankles around in a circular movement, bending and flexing your feet and shaking each leg in turn as you go about your work
• Standing on tiptoes and raising your body up and then down repeatedly, using your toes to support you. Hold each position for five seconds
• Pick up marbles with your toes and relocate them to another spot on the floor
• Walking on sand strengthens toes, massages feet and exfoliates the skin

Bflygal's comment:
For the benefit of my friend, just wanted to say I research this topic because lately I have been suffering from leg cramp every time I woke up in the middle of the night haha. It does happen when the nights are cold and I forgot to cover myself with blanket. But I guess I wanted to read up about this topic because this has been happening on a daily basis for the past one week for me, and the nights are not cold. I guess maybe I'm pretty low in potassium now. I must eat more banana haha. Guess it can be quite irritating since I can feel the numbness hours after I have woken up. But other than that, I’m quite used to it already. Just that it gives me an excuse to not run in the morning. Lazy me! Oh ya, then while researching about leg cramp, I decided to research on toe cramp too which will happen to me if I shop too long and the place is cold haha. Yes I know, I need to cover up my precious feet more!

0 comments: