Latest Art Work

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Cecelia Ahern - PS, I Love You

Other than articles from reader digest, I rarely cry while reading a story book. But I have never encountered a story line like this. Afterall, I always read detective books or typical love stories.

This is a book on a young widow by the name of Holly. Before she even hit thirty, life had cruelly taken her husband, Gerry, from her. He is her soul mate, her pillar of strength, her reason for existence in life. She is indeed smitten by him. Everything she does revolves around him, and to wake up one day realising the brain tumour had taken him away was simply too heart wrenching for her.

But I cried not because of life’s cruelty, I cried because of life’s touching moments. Before Gerry departed, he left her 10 cards, to be opened each month from March till December. They were like her 10 commandments. If he asked her to go KTV and sing, she obliged even though she had to hide in the toilet minutes before her performance before bracing enough strength to sing in her tone-deaf voice. If he asked her to clear up his belongings, she did because both of them knew that he lived in her heart, and she does not need his belongings any more. If he asked her to find a job, she seriously went shooting for the moon to look for a job that she will loved, a job that will make her happy for once and not be treated as something that feeds her. And if he asked her to go on make new memories and love again, she told herself she will do it one day, when the hurt has lessened and her heart is more giving and she is more prepared.

“You need to be scared to be brave.”

I totally agree with this statement. Many a times, I got scared. I got frightened. I wish to turn back. I wish to give up. Sometimes I really do give up, sometimes I face my fears. Somehow most of the times when I faced my fears, it seem less scary that I thought it was. Holly’s fear was living a life without Gerry. At first it really is traumatic for her, but after 10 months, she really did move on. Even though there are times she was unhappy to go to work, there are times she would cry in the middle of the night, there are times she would have a bad hair day and freak about her wayward body. But life goes on, and so can she.

By the way, on the cover is this one-liner "Everyone needs a guardian angel". I know I have a guardian angel in my heart too, who looks after me since I was a baby and who will always be there for me. Enchanting!

0 comments: