Latest Art Work

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Danger of overworked doctors

“My Paper” today has an article on the “Danger of overworked doctors” from “The Sydney Morning Herald Editorial”.

In this article, it is said that two-thirds of NSW hospital doctors have to clock as many as 100 hours a week. Australian Medical Association has been trying to implement a more acceptable working condition for these doctors for five years. But the culture is too deep-rooted to be uprooted that easily.

The tragic thing is the only victim here are the patients. After 17 hours awake, our judgement and performance are as impaired as a driver who cannot drive because his alcohol level is above the limit. And mistakes will occur. However in the medical world, mistakes cannot be tolerated because of the grave consequences.

I once asked my friend why it is so tough for her to get into a medical school in Australia. I remembered she gave me some reason which I was not convinced but did not persist. But this article makes me saw light of the situation. Long hospital shifts are the result of shortage of staff. But the doctors either resist transferring some medical duties to the senior nurses or object opening more university places for medicine.

Now I understand why Singapore does not have this scenario. In fact I’m glad that the government even welcomes TCM and is willing to incorporate it into university curriculum. Of course I wouldn’t say it is easy to get into NUS Medical Faculty, but I’m sure it is definitely much easier than in Australia.

I sincerely do not wish to be treated by an overworked doctor.

2 comments:

Wisely said...

haha talking about shortage of staff, think I can write a whole essay on it so will try to say it briefly here. =]

In western countries, there's this profession called nurse practitioners who are allowed to diagnose basic diseases (e.g. cold, flu etc) and prescibe medication to patients. However I dont think such things exist in most asian countries.

Next, it is very very expensive to train a medical graduate (straight form med sch) during the internship or residency period. The government is reluctant to pay, that's all and the excuse those idiots give is always "oh this is an immediate problem, takes too long to train a medical student and wait for them to join the work force." I really want to throw them into the bin......

Hmm I am sure nobody wants to be treated by an overworked doc but if this situation persists, more patients will be seen by even more overworked doc......

Butterflygalz said...

Singapore had ever considered training senior nurses to be nurse practitioners. However I think the plan was shelved because there is no demand for it. Besides in the East, TCM can and is a good alternative. That is why we do not face such problem.