Latest Art Work

Sunday, March 27, 2016

The Power of Facebook

Actually I lost my draft of this article and was wondering it could be destiny that I should not write about it. Besides something else happened and I have physically wrote a letter ... somewhat..

So do I still want to store this event? In a way I should. I guess. But I would prefer to keep it brief, maybe try to make it light-hearted. Instead of the sombre tone that was in the initial draft.

I knew the influence of social media since I started with teleview, ICQ, Friendster and MySpace.

For M, I had introduced to her Facebook. And sometimes the way she uses it startles me. Like how she found out the double life of my tenant. I have to admit she can be quite a stalker.

And I have no doubt on her intelligence. Especially after this Easter long weekend.

Because I was extended, I thought to visit my friend's 'weekend getaway'. She had taken a month leave because her alpacas (3) were unpacking. I had loved my past 2 visits when I was here. It reminds me of the hermit life I once wanted. The Au life I had once dream upon. I guess I was greedy to experience it one more time. That I forgot how remote the connection would be, especially as she mentioned on a long Easter weekend where visitors were rampant which congest the network drastically.

As I took the regional bus to Mansfield, I pondered if I should get a Telstra sim card at one point, but was too lazy to execute the action. Besides nobody seem to be contacting me that Friday. And when my friend brought me to the city for farmer's market on Saturday morning, there were no messages for me. Maybe I should have responded my brother's Scandinavian photos but I was having my ME time enjoying the market that I forgot. And then once again, as I leave the city, I had once again become unreachable.

We had thought the alpacas should be unpacking soon but Sunday came, yet no action from the mamas. My friend wanted to stay indoors to be ready anytime. And so I did my next favourite activity (when I have no internet), reading. Like what she said, I became quite a reading machine as I stayed in the same spot and finish reading a fiction book she had loaned me. I totally forgot the world around me then. Exactly the life I sometimes wanted. Dangerous though. Because the next thing I knew, it was sunset and we dropped by her neighbour house for some drinks and chats.

The neighbour's backyard has a road that can lead to the top of the hill. So I asked to go up and catch the sunset view. My friend had mentioned that the connection will work at the top too. So I thought to check my phone the same time. That's when I realised how many messages D had tried to send me. He used to do it once in a blue moon, checking on me ever since he's ill. But I never expected his reaction when I did not reply for a day.

It got to the extent M actually dropped a message on the last photo tagged to get my colleague to find me.

If I can find any humour in this incident, it is the 'i told you' scenario to Doc before... that not a single colleague will even be able to find me if I was sick. One WA from Adelaide, One WA from Japan, One LINED from Japan, and clingyM LINED from Melbourne, but nobody .. absolutely nobody managed to find me. Well no AU phone number to call, no address, no inkling where I went.

Luckily though M had contacted K too. Remarkably she was smart enough to know how to find K from the "? liked this photo" feature.

Which is why I have to say, I'm totally in awe of M's intelligence. And utterly embarrassed by what she did. I didn't know how to face my colleagues come Tuesday. And not once did I really discussed this with clingyM.

Though many days later, when my agent were in Melbourne and decided to have dinner with me and clingyM, and clingyM's wife subtly asked me what is my address. And I asked is it because of that incident which she replied ya, nobody seems to know where I lived even.

That night I cried myself to sleep as I wondered about a zillions things. But GA gave me a beautiful gift on Easter Monday to take away all my sorrow. Maybe 2 beautiful gifts. I woke up with a bunch of kangaroos right outside the window eating. Finally as the last 2 mornings, I had trouble waking up early to take photos of them. And I thought that was my parting gift.

Except that this was actually my parting gift...

I was very glad I chose to leave on Monday afternoon. Even though the traffic is so bad that I was an hour plus later than intended. Because it is not everyday that I get to see a new birth. The feeling when I see his legs dangling out of the mama's bottom was so incredulous. I wished I had taken my long lens to capture it properly. :(

As I watch the baby fell many times while trying to take his baby steps... till he finally manage to stand and walk ... I'm truly glad for life as is. I only wish D can recover like baby too.


0 comments: