Latest Art Work

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Chip Conley - Measuring what makes life worthwhile



The second video link by CL which I watched last month (20th July) but only had time to blog it now. The first one was Sir Ken Robinson's Bring on learning.

In this clip, hotelier Mr Chip Conley talks about Joie de Vivie (Joy of Life). There was this quote by Robert Kennedy on the definition of GDP. It is said that GDP "measures everything in short, except that which makes life worthwhile."

And yet GDP is the measurement metric everybody is using to measure the success of the country.

Because of it, I guess Abe Maslow makes absolute sense when he said "if the only tool you have is a hammer, then everything starts to look like a nail". Everything will just tweaks into the perspective you want it to tweaks into, because human are known for adjusting their needs into one that the society accepts.

On a trip through India, early in his reign as king, he actually was asked by an Indian journalist about the Bhutanese GDP, the size of the Bhutanese GDP. And the king responded in a fashion that actually has transformed us four decades later. He said the following: He said, "Why are we so obsessed and focused with gross domestic product? Why don't we care more about gross national happiness?" Now, in essence, the king was asking us to consider an alternative definition of success, what has come to be known as GNH, or gross national happiness. Most world leaders didn't take notice, and those that did thought this was just "Buddhist economics." But the king was serious.
I wish I can go Bhutan and see how one create the habitat for happiness to brew. Seems like it is THE HAVEN that I am looking and searching for right now. I sincerely wish I know what is the measurement to make my life worthwhile. I thought I know. But 3 days more to the trip, I started doubting if this is the path and do they want me on the path?

Video Source: http://www.ted.com/talks/chip_conley_measuring_what_makes_life_worthwhile.html

p/s: Still remember reading an email on "Value What is Yours!" where the story goes like this...

The owner of a small business, a friend of the Poet Olavo Bilac, met him on the street and asked him,
"Mr. Bilac, I need to sell my small farm, the one you know so well. Could you please write and announcement for me for the paper?"

Mr. Bilac wrote,
"For sale, a beautiful property, where birds sing at dawn in extensive woodland, bisected by the brilliant and sparkling waters of a large stream.
The house is bathed by the rising sun.
It offers tranquil shade in the evening on the veranda."

Some time later, the poet met his friend and asked whether he had sold the property?
To which he replied:
"I've changed my mind. When I read what you had written, I realized the treasure that was mine."



Sometimes we underestimate the good things we have,
Chasing after the mirages of false treasures.
- Poet Olavo Bilac

I don't know how authentic this story is. But I really don't want to find myself chasing after the mirages of false treasures. Maybe once again, I will just let fate decide? 4 more days and I will know the answer. At least GA has been kind to me.

0 comments: