Latest Art Work

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Kuih Lopes ("Jennifer Lopes")


Kuih Lopes
(Steamed Pandamus Glutinous Rice with Grated Coconut)

Actual food should look something like this:
Image source: drugsarefordead (which seriously look very yummy in this photo)

I remembered it was one of those Malay Kuehs that I like very much (the other is Kueh Dada that I learned to make in my Home-Ed days which I have since returned to my teacher). I never knew how these was made though so thanks for the enlightenment by the blogger.

It is said that the grandmother will wrap banana leaf into triangular shape before inserting glutinous rice/sticky rice (pulut) then secured tightly with toothpicks or rafia string. She will then boil the triangular shaped banana leaves for hours (1-2 hours) inside this huge pot. When the water evaporated, she will then take them out and unwrap the banana leaf and the glutinous rice inside the leaves would have formed into a perfect browned-greenish triangular shaped delight. The last step is to dress it up with coconut flakes and then pour the brown sugar liquid (air gula) which is my absolute favourite accompaniment too.

And the days I was with Natalie, my new found lunch khaki, I constantly ate Malay food with her. A rarity because I don't really fancy much Malay food, (and I must say till now I still don't like to patronize Malay Rice stalls.. but then I don't really patronize Chinese Rice stalls either haha!). So there was this stall we visited frequently and they sell these lovely lopes. And to lighten things up, they called the lopes... Jennifer Lopes. I would have loved to take photo but somehow it never occurred to me to take a photo of the signage. And now I'm too lazy to go back there since she has left the company already. So what is left are just the memories of these lovely lopes...

Sigh how I wish I can trade place with her. I had wanted to leave by the end of the month but because she left, I decided to try to tolerate for another one month. Hopefully I can last....

0 comments: