Latest Art Work

Saturday, January 23, 2010

New ways to find job

2010, and I'm searching for jobs again. The panic button is half depressed already because I realised it is the end of Jan already. And I can start telling people I need to give 1 month's notice. Actually I usually don't. I am too truthful that I will just tell people my current situation, till an agent gave me some advice. But I will discuss more about that further.

Usually when you want to find jobs, how do you go about doing it?
In the past, I was using the paper method. Everyday I will flip to the recruit section and CIRCLE the jobs I am interested in RED.  Then I will start to follow the instructions on how to apply for the job.  Those times, you will print your resume and send by post.  Sometimes you have to attach your typed essay in the post too.  Those were the days.

Then internet revamped the job recruiting situation and I got an easier way to apply for job.  I was able to harness internet and either send online application or send an email with my resume in soft copy.  That was so much easier.  But it was still finding those companies directly and emailing their HR department.

The introduction of JOBSDB and JOBSTREET and the likes tweaked the situation.  Now I can just deposit my resume with these online agencies and companies interested can request for my resume.  In addition I can still apply for jobs but it also got easier as I can make use of their "Quick apply" method.  Note that this is not applicable to all the job ads though as certain companies still want you to email them directly instead of clicking "Quick apply".  But that is perfectly fine with me as it is still the digital way.

Then I happen to know another agency - Jobline.  This also request for you to deposit your resume and they do post job ads.  But they actually have an active pool of job agents who will sms/email you regularly if your profile fits the JD (Jobs Description).  And they will always call you before they submit your resume to the prospective client.

So I had been using the last 3 methods for the recent years.  Direct postings, Jobsdb/Jobstreet and Jobline were always being checked whether frequently or infrequently.  But this year, due to my ex-colleagues, I actually had another 2 more source.

The first method is via Linkedin.  Networking has become a big deal over the years and somehow people's recommendation in sites like Linkedin seems to help you increase your worth.  It is like a branding issue.  But it is not my character to ask people to write recommendations for me so I shall leave it as it is.  In addition, I think currently, I decided to limit the privacy level again because it gave me a queasy feeling when my colleagues know my work experience in details because I have a Linkedin account and I don't know anything about them because they don't open one.  Just felt weird.  But I am still in some groups in Linkedin which post jobads frequently too and so Linkedin became a new source for me.

However it is the second method that not only changed my impression of recruiters but gave me a very surreal feeling.  I had been getting only rejections constantly i.e. not even being given a chance to clinch an interview with them. Until my ex-colleague (who was supposedly my competitor too haha) started introducing the agents to me instead because he already got a job.  The first time he introduced to me, the agent immediately call me the next working day and had a chat with me to understand me better.  This is usually the typical thing I suppose, so I did not give too much of a thought. Except when she did schedule me an interview, and started to prep me for the interview that  I was kind of overwhelmed.  I could sense her enthusiasm as a recruiter as she dispensed various interview tips and info that she felt I should know so as not to get cold feet.  I still ended up cold feet as both of us did not expect other people to be the one conducting the interview.  And I failed that interview due to the lack of exposure but the agent was kind to encourage me and told me at least they like me, it is just that I did not have the qualifications which sometimes cannot be helped in life.

Subsequently, my ex-colleague introduced me another 2 more agents and likewise these are people who had been in their industry for a period of time as you can hear their enthusiasm.  This other agent even extend an invitation for me to call him anytime for career guidance because he wishes to help the youngster do well in their career and most importantly because he felt that the locals are talented but too humble and at the losing end compared when compared to the FTs. I was so pleasantly surprised by his frankness and pretty touched by the sincerity in wanting to help people.  The last agent is also a very friendly lady who even told me she pioneered this company and has been doing a few start-ups I think.  Somehow talking to these agents were really interesting such that even if I did not get any interview in the end, I felt it has been a blessing to know them for a short period of time.  And it is all thanks to my ex-colleague whom seriously one would never try to get a job from ex-colleague-cum-competitor.  Really am grateful for him too haha.  Hope he will love his new job and accumulate enough wealth asap to set up his family.  And I really felt that if it is not because of the new directions our company undertook, I probably will never encounter such situation and have such perspective towards life.



Oh and the last weird method I used to create chances was via Road show promoters haha.  It was a weird conversation which changed from trying to promote me to "donate to xxx society" to "do you want to try applying for my company".  Caught me by surprise totally but then I'm game on anything because I believed you can learn from it.  After all, to me, life is really all about learning.

0 comments: