Latest Art Work

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Some Musing

I have some thoughts over the weekend... random thoughts...

1) Do you think nature should be left alone or made more accessible for nature lovers? (Source: URA)

Sometimes, when I'm close to nature, I feel so lucky to be alive. 
But MOST of the times, when I'm in the nature area, I only feel sadness.  Whether it is in SG (Pasir Ris Mangrove, Sungei Buloh, Southern Ridge) or in MY (Berkelah's trip).. or overseas.. times and times.. I see rubbish strewn, I see litter floating in the river.  How many knows the reason why Grasstales was born?  Because I cannot stand people taking grasses for granted, stepping grasses wounded hearts over and over again.  Most importantly, I cannot stand people trying to cut corners and short cuts (I only accept it if there is no pavement in sight at all.)

How many times have you see the quote "take only pictures, leave only footprints".  How many times do you firmly adhere to it?  If only everybody would treasure Mother Nature... if only...

Afternote:
A fellow docent sent us this news
"South Africa tries to halt baboon break-ins"
Source: Google News

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — Baboons seeking snacks are breaking into tourists' cars in South Africa and authorities are threatening to fine visitors who give them food.

Cape Town's chacma baboons are a popular attraction and some visitors give them treats in order to lure them closer and take pictures.

Some baboons now regard people as a source of food and have become increasingly aggressive to get it. There have been a number of recent break-ins of cars by monkeys seeking food.

A statement Monday from the city of Cape Town and the South African National Parks authority said that tour operators and tourists who deliberately lured baboons with food risked fines. It did not say how large the fines would be and officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Utterly disappointed. This is the price of tourism? This is when tourist thought they are being kind. They were indeed trying to help. Unfortunately it only worsens the situation (越帮越忙). It happens because for every action there is a reaction but most of the times, we forgot to notice the reaction, the impact.

This story also reminded me about the "begging children" cases I read months ago. The author thought he was kind to give these children food, only to realise these children had turned into fussy eaters because there are many other kind tourists who will give them food too. Shocked? Indeed, did we just taught the children
a) to just beg for the rest of their life without putting any effort instead of working hard for life.
b) even after begging, you can afford to be selective (i.e. unappreciative of the kinds these people had showered on you).

How do we handle such situation? I have absolutely no answer...

2) In our rush to explore the world, we overlook the fact that we are strangers to our own backyard.  There is a rich variety of unexplored nooks and crannies in Singapore.  Be it nature and parks, heritae, sports, arts and culture, shopping, food and entertainment or simply leisure attractions, uncover and rediscover the many surprising places to PLAY AS YOU LIKE! (Source: URA)

When I saw this quote, I was thinking "my exact sentiments".  I wanted to travel so badly I changed my environment etc.  But I ended up still stuck in SG.  In the process, I changed my mentality.  I wanted to visit SG, to understand SG, so that when I'm overseas, I can compare it with SG.  Most importantly, I know no matter how far I travel, SG is forever my home, even if I have so much grouses towards it.  Like what my friend say, because I never gave up hope for SG, thus everything miniscule things that happen here could render a big hoo-huh from me.

3) Wisdom tooth.  Haha what a weird topic on this.  Probably because I went for a dental check up and it was the first time I took 2 x-rays (a bitewing and a panaromic)  for my teeth.  The dentist was so shocked to hear it was my first time though hmm.. Did I look like I just came from outer space?  Anyway x-ray shows I only have 2 wisdom teeth.  The nurse was so excited when she said hey I have wisdom teeth whereas I'm like I thought everybody has wisdom teeth? Anyway I made the dentist explain more about wisdom teeth haha.  (Aiya, he enjoy explaining too!)  Oh and I realised that this is the first time I meet a male dentist.. and I suddenly remember my mum's comments on male dentist (she also just met one recently only haha).  Are there more female dentists than male?  I do admit that I still love and miss my pri sch dentist best... after which I'm quite ok with the dentist near my house... this guy.. hmm... I guess I don't have much of a choice...

4) Oops I forgot the rest of my muse.. tired... something happened in the middle of the writing... and took away all my thoughts with it.. leaving only Euphoria's December as my current mood song... leaving only me.. thinking.. musing... missing... humming... stoning... dazing...

1 comments:

Wisely said...

I am also very excited, how come you only have 2 wisdom teeth? Haha the x-ray must be very interesting, too bad you didnt keep a copy if not I will definitely borrow it from you to investigate...