Latest Art Work

Thursday, June 05, 2008

爱心变了质

潘君琴 from MyPaper (5th June 2008) has written a short entry on “你捐了吗” (“Have you donated?”). She mentioned that this is a common introductory phrase lately in China. (It used to be “你吃过了吗?” which means “Have you eaten?”)

Somehow she reminded me of an incident my mum recounted previously. My mum was querying for some travel arrangements when the representative suddenly asked if she watched the charity show that day. When my mum replied “No”, she immediately conclude my mum doesn’t have sufficient compassion for not watching, before next asking if my mum did donate. I do wonder if my mum had replied “No”, what is her final conclusion going to be?

I’m not saying that we shouldn’t donate. To donate is your personal preference. How you wish to donate is also your personal preference. Lastly, the amount you donate is also your personal preference. I just don’t like the fact that everybody is just judging everybody else by the action and the amount. There are other ways one could contribute. True at times I feel so ashamed of myself because I find my donation a paltry sum compared to what others have donated but that is comparing me with others, which is another matter entirely.

Anyway lately, I have also been thinking how much compassion we have (not with respect to the natural disasters). While reading news, I realized that lately people have a tendency to swipe out their handphone to take a photo to send to Stomp for news. I am ok with people wanting to be ad-hoc “reporter”, to share quirky scenes and first hand news. But recently I remember seeing a photo of a motorcyclist banging into another vehicle and it occurred to me, when the photographer had taken out his/her handphone, did he/she first call the emergency helpline or did he/she take a photo first?

GA, if ever one day, I used my camera-phone irresponsibly, I promise never to own another camera-phone. To take a photo instead of rendering help, pains me.

3 comments:

Wisely said...

哈哈哈,正所謂“一种米養百种人”,這個世界什麽人都有,需要那麽激動嗎?=]

Anonymous said...

nowadays, i hate charity shows. not because of the scandals etc. As a tv corp, they want to win awards, local or regional, for such mega shows, such that they are putting up 'acts' to milk ppl's compassion.
For every call u made, if i am not mistaken, ST + Mediacock earns from the admin charges etc, straight from your pocket. Since you are paying extra just to make a call, why not take the extra money to donate directly to Red Cross etc, instead of lining the pockets of these bloated coys?
There are many other ways to donate such as internet banking, atms, petrol kiosks etc which do not comes at extra costs.

Butterflygalz said...

That was what I thought to, why pay the extra admin cost. Why not waived it or donate everything to the fund.. but sometimes, such is the society which we have no control at all.

And I am just being myself, not agitated.