Latest Art Work

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Singaporean English

It created quite a furore with forums like
Hardwarezone
Youtube
Flowerpod

All are protective towards our Singaporean English. And for that, I’m thankful. I agree our English is not up to the British standard. In fact if it is a British commenting our English, I’m actually fine with it. The problem lies in this is a Taiwanese entertainment show.

Like what I tell my friend, I can’t even say “the pot calling the kettle black” because their English is not even on par with us.

If they had chosen to criticise our Mandarin, I guess I would be more at peace with it…

Actually I did give them the benefit of doubt considering the number of foreigners working in the service line has increased over the years. There have been numerous encounters when the sales personnel could not even understand my request. I remember reading an article about it recently too where someone had expressed his/her worries about these front-liners and their inadequate English vocabulary and how we are portraying Singapore to the tourists. Maybe this video is talking about them? But I do believe no matter how bad their English is, their standard should not be as bad as saying “Dance” instead of “Thanks”.

Anyway I do want to emphasis that there are Taiwanese who speaks good English. But for this case, I feel none of them in the video are "qualified" to comment on our English.

I shall rest my case and go back to my programming...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha agree. the taiwanese guy arroy that criticised us, his english even worse. used to watch a variety show, that had them expressing themselves in english. his was the worst.