Latest Art Work

Friday, November 30, 2007

Faith

I was clearing my mails today after many days of closure when I came upon the story of “Paid in full with one glass of milk”. Nah I’m not sure what should the actual title be, but it is a common story of a boy who once asked for a glass of milk. Years later, the lady that has given him the glass came back to him as a patient and he waived her hospital bills due to the kindness she showed when he was a child.

Out of curiosity, I search for the truth of this story.

Quoted from Truth of Fiction.

As is often the case, someone has fictionalized the details of this story and gotten some of it wrong, but it is essentially a true event.

Dr. Howard Kelly was a distinguished physician who, in 1895, founded the Johns Hopkins Division of Gynecologic Oncology at Johns Hopkins University. According to Dr. Kelly's biographer, Audrey Davis, the doctor was on a walking trip through Northern Pennsylvania one spring day when we stopped by a farm house for a drink of water. A little girl answered his knock at the door and instead of water, brought him a glass of fresh milk. He visited with her briefly, then went his way. Sometime after that, the little girl came to him as a patient and needed surgery. After the surgery, the bill was brought to her room and on it were the words, "Paid in full with one glass of milk."

Our thanks to Andrew Harrison, the Processing Archivist and Fine Arts Coordinator for the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, for help with this story.


After reading the truth, I felt that it is more heart-warming and real. Of course I pledged my donations never for the sake that these people will repay me. I just want these people to get the assistance required.

Anyway, I remembered another story told by my classmate a long time ago. From my vague memory, this story was about a man who forced himself to learn English so that he can study in a particular Christian school. However towards his last year, he had problem trying to pay his school fees and was on the verge of quitting school. The week before, he wrote God a letter to ask for guidance. Then on the day itself, the principal called him in and he was worried as he was still unable to cough out the school fee. However, the principal had called him to tell him that his school fees are waived as in they will give him a scholarship. Apparently someone from a very far country had decided to write to the community head of this village to sponsor someone. And this person had actually written the letter a few months back based on God’s instructions to her. Just that the entire correspondence took quite some time before the letter finally arrived in the principal’s lap. It was a blessing to this man who later continued preaching Christianity.

I have to put a disclaimer that this story was typed offhand thus the facts might have been mixed up. The gist of this story is to tell one to just put faith in God.

The mention of this story is because; once again I do not understand the omen. 2 days ago, I was told to trust what the Heaven has in place for me. Yet later in the day, I was delivered news that will impact me. For the past 2 days, I kept wondering if I should broach the topic. But what good will it do? I might have made my indications clear initially but that I did not enforce on it, they chose to take it everything is well. And if I insist on my idea now, I will only cause them more worries. The problem is I owe them too much thus I cannot bear to execute my decision. I need a clear indication.

0 comments: