Latest Art Work

Sunday, August 19, 2007

So Much To Do, So Little Time

Author: Article written by Neen James, a productivity expert, motivational speaker and corporate trainer based in the United States.

Source: Recruit – The Sunday Times (February 4 2007)

1. Book in
Mark all your regular meetings and activities in advance so that you will not forget or double book yourself. Try colour coding the appointments to distinguish personal, work and family events.

2. Travel time
Always factor in the travelling time you need to get to the venue. This travelling time can be used to return calls, listen to motivational CDs etc. And before you get on the road, ask if this trip is really necessary.

>> This is something I usually never take into account either. Luckily I always carry a book with me whenever I go though as such I’m never bored while travelling or waiting.

3. Before and after
Another thing people usually overlook. They will just rush from back-to-back meetings only to get caught up in returning calls and responding to e-mails. In the end the work that comes out of the meetings does not get done until long after.

If you schedule, you will turn up prepared to contribute and to take action on minutes and follow up on projects while the information is still fresh in your mind.

>> I totally agree with it. There are times where I tried to typed out my task list for the system and realised I could not remember what I had scribbled that day. That is why I always make sure if I am the minuter, I will definitely typed the minutes straight away. Forgetting what to minute down can be pretty fatal you know.

4. Regular activities
Set aside the first 60 minutes and last 10 minutes of your day for planning, reading weekly reports, writing project updates and scanning monthly newsletters. Schedule the time to meet your regular commitments.

>> No wonder I always get piles of newspapers to read.. like this article haha. But I know I will never be able to adhere to this as I already had a pattern. To read this stuff only when I’m trying to spring clean and I only spring clean when I’m having school holidays. Worst, I only spring clean on the last day of school holidays.. like today heehee.

5. Go for a break
It could mean holidays and short breaks. But it also includes your daily lunch break.

>> Have a break, have a kit-kat! You deserve it!

6. Protect your time
Allow access to people only when necessary.

7. Keep a back-up
Make a copy either by photocopying or synchronising with the computer.

>> Err I prefer to use a paper diary but photocopying it.. hmm. I really need to think twice about it.

0 comments: