Latest Art Work

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Shanghai Baby

Past Memories - Episode 4

24th Jul 2003
Whoa! after 1 semester of school, I actually slack till holidays are going to over before updating my website. *Shaking head* Let's recap what have I done for this whole period of time. Hmm. When school started for last semester, I end up busy studying, celebrating Chinese New Year, marketing for V-Day Bazaar (SOC), busy with NUSSU CBLC, enjoying life in PGP, and doing last minute revisions for my exams. Ha Ha then its holidays which apparently zoom just as quickly as it came.

I completed the 'How to win friends and influence people' by Dale Carnegie and read another very exotic and controversial book 'Shanghai Baby' by Wen Hui which I took less than a week (considering the speed I take to finish the Dale Carnegie's book.

This is just a book I read for easy-reading. And it is really easy to read. I took less than a week to complete, as compared to books like Lord Of the Ring or even The Order of Phoenix and Harry Potter (though at least I did finish the latter because I'm a HP fan =D )

It is quite an interesting book. Now I understand why it created quite an uproar. A semi-autobiography of the author, it can be highly erotic and extremely vulgar to people who are not used to the way SEX is liberalised. But I find it very though-provoking. Like the lead-lady Coco, I'm a daydreamer who can live a life of a hermit. Cooping myself at home is not frightening to me, neither is skipping meals due to plain laziness. My mum used to call my room a pig sty.. and it is easy to fathom why.

Ok I guess I will not two-time but then one can never be too sure. Coco seems to be rather faithful too. Just happen that she love a guy that is impotent because his mind could not open up. It sounds pitiful. Imagine a healthy and virile guy ending up in such a state all because he could not change his mindset. It shows how powerful one's mind is. It can make a healthy person sick, just as it can make a sick person healthy. No wonder people used to say, 'It's all in your mind'.

Anyway, because of that, she had an affair with her married German lover. Initially she thought it was just a game, but everybody knows that if you play with fire, you will definitely get burned. Thus I'm not surprised to read on and realise she love her lover too.

Her ideals, her thoughts are also very unique. Stuff about life, drugs, Shanghai, and about the world in general. Read it if you want liberalisation.

Acknowledgements :

* Shanghai Baby by Wen Hui

0 comments: