Latest Art Work

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Love At First Sight / The Road Not Taken

Past Memories - Episode 8 (Last episode)

21st Sept 2003

Ok 1 month has past... studies is still swimming swimming.... dun bother about it for the time being "p

Firstly thanks to everybody who in one way or another celebrated my birthday with me.... but somehow I don't feel 21 though....

Secondly, haven't been watching movies other than Home Run by Jack Neo etc... Recently watched another one...coz I used to like its animation... none other than Turn Left, Turn Right. Quite a beautiful story about fate. If you have never seen the animation, click here. Very very nice... in the movie, there is also a very beautiful Polish poem... click on my Poetry section to read the English translation of it. Not really going to comment on the movie though.. coz I always prefer the cartoon version of any stories hee hee...As for the poem, it was linked with late Polish film great Krystof
Kieslowski's Three Colours: Red. Curious to watch that movie.. hmm..

Okies back to studies... from this wk onwards, my tests and project deadlines are sprinting towards me.. sighz


LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT
by Wislawa Szymborska's - 1993

(English Translation. Originally in Polish)

They're both convinced
that a sudden passion joined them.
Such certainty is beautiful,
but uncertainty is more beautiful still.

Since they'd never met before, they're sure
that there'd been nothing between them.
But what's the word from the streets, staircases, hallways -
perhaps they've passed by each other a million times?

I want to ask them
if they don't remember -
a moment face to face
in some revolving door?
perhaps a "sorry" muttered in a crowd?
a curt "wrong number" caught in the receiver?
but I know the answer.
No, they don't remember.

They'd be amazed to hear
that Chance has been toying with them
now for years.

Not quite ready yet
to become their Destiny,
it pushed them close, drove them apart,
it barred their path,
stifling a laugh,
and then leaped aside.

There were signs and signals,
even if they couldn't read them yet.
Perhaps three years ago
or just last Tuesday
a certain leaf fluttered
from one shoulder to another?
Something was dropped and then picked up.
Who knows, maybe the ball that vanished
into childhood's thicket?

There were doorknobs and doorbells
where one touch had covered another
beforehand.
Suitcases checked and standing side by side.
One night, perhaps, the same dream,
grown hazy by morning.

Every beginning
is only a sequel, after all,
and the book of events
is always open halfway through.

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN
by Robert Frost

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Bflygal's comments : The second poem was another poem that I liked. The first time I read it should be during my secondary school days. Even till now, I always wonder if the path I am taking is the road taken or not. And if it is a correct path. But in life, there never was a correct path. Only a path that you had taken. With these 2 poems, I ended my journey to my past. I have to say it is a rewarding experience to recap what I felt 4 years ago. I wonder what happen after that. My first post starts on 20th July 2004. In between, I had another 1 more semester to go where I took HCI and IS Security which were fun. I did have a regret in that period though. Something I have always wondered. What if that day, I had accepted the interview with Neopets.com. What would my fate be? I guess this question will never be answered.

0 comments: