Latest Art Work

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Innovation Carnival

For the past few days, I have been concentrating on this event only. Somehow it squeezed dry my creativity juice.

10 days before the actual event, I was delivered the bombshell. The project to be in competition will be displayed by another department. Thus my project, which was supposed to be just a tag-a-long feature, became the competition piece and another project will be included as a create awareness feature.

After that, I have been fully concentrating on this event. First and foremost, I had to design the banner. Tough! When I finally completed the banner and submit it, I felt a bit relieved. But my relief is short-lived. Because my presentation slides had to redo as the initial focus is no longer the same. Then I had to do screen captures of my system and turn it into a motion picture. I chose flash in the end because it is easier to display a webpage than a video which might run into codec problem.

The final task is to decorate the booth. This means pinning up my slides and part of the 2nd project slides to the notice board provided. I had to cut my slides up and paste on coloured paper. I completed pasting on the coloured paper yesterday. But I had problem trying to pin them on the board.

In the end, I only started pinning the stuff this morning using the double side tape that my DM passed to me. Unfortunately, double side tape doesn’t hold the papers well. So between that and my limited amount of thumb tacks and help from my colleagues, I managed to finish the board at 1pm. In between, had to move the computers, set the tables and decorate the booth. And my colleagues were lovely; they helped me borrow table cloth, flower, ribbon, balloons. I remember 2 years ago, we did the same thing for this carnival. I did not attend last year thus am not sure how was the preparation.

Then the event starts at 2pm, though my colleague and I went to collect our freebies instead haha. Initially I did not really man the booth because not many people milling around yet. I went around to see what other innovative projects are being showcased. After that, is time to garner votes? Pantry aunties had been very supportive, each passing me 3 of her white ping pong balls. Then there are times I had to earn the ping pong balls where I explained the portal to them. But when they came back to vote after viewing all the projects, I feel that all the hard work had been worth it.

End of the day, did win the first prize for the business category. And with it, I felt all my efforts were not wasted. Phew!

0 comments: