Latest Art Work

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Walking Fitness Test

Source : Health Promotion Board, "Exercise," Microsoft® Encarta® Online Encyclopedia 2006, Tunturi

After walking that 2 km test that day, I went to do some research and finally decided to present my findings here (so that I can refer to when I participated in the next walk).

2 km walking test is to test the fitness level of a person. The idea is to walk 2 kilometers as fast as possible. The time spent and the heart rate at the end of the distance will be recorded.

The physiological fact is that the fitter you are, the faster your pulse recovers to the normal level after exercise. The maximum heart rate (beats per minute) for an individual is approximately 220 minus age. To improve aerobic capacity (VO2 maximum), exercise should be performed at an intensity that produces a heart rate of at least 70 percent of this maximum. VO2 is the measure of the maximum of oxygen that can be taken in and processed during exercise.

For a 20-year-old, for example, the maximum heart rate is 220 - 20, or 200. The heart rate should rise to at least 140 (70 percent of 200).

Although BMI should not have a direct relation with the heart rate, it is computed as well during this test to get the overall picture.
BMI = Weight (kg) / Height^2 (m)

BMI (kg/m2) for Singaporean Adults :
27.5 and above = High Risk
23 – 27.4 = Moderate Risk
18.5 – 22.9 = Low Risk (healthy range)
Below 18.5 = Risk of nutritional deficiency diseases and osteoporosis

1 comments:

Wisely said...

sigh.... I have forgotten all about VO2 max and the assoicated equations after getting 92% for my concepts of health and fitness course last semester, this definitely reminds me of the cramming days before the exams, haha thanks my friend...-_______-||

See??? I was right, BMI under 23 is fine for asians HAHAHA =D

Haha maybe i really have nutritional deficiency diseases cos my BMI has never reach 18 heehee =p