Latest Art Work

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Dangers on the road

Everyday while walking to work, I see the dangers on the road. Whether you are driving, you are cycling, you are walking. Everybody seems to believe they are right in their path. Everybody seems to believe that the other party should give way to them. Everybody seems to think that they are the only one in a rush and that all should slow down for them. Everybody thinks they are the VIP.

But is it true? When the turn left light is green, should the cyclist still insist of cycling straight? Shouldn't he stop and let the car turn left? When a pedestrian is at the zebra crossing, shouldn't the cyclist stop? Shouldn't the motorist stop? And when the pedestrian is crossing the zebra crossing, shouldn't he walk faster. And if he doesn't walk faster, should he deserve to be horn at? When there are oncoming vehicles, should the cyclist still turn left, thinking he can be faster than the oncoming vehicles?

To those who drive recklessly, to those who cycle carelessly, to those who walks aimlessly; are you sure that your actions alone will only cause pain to yourself. What if the other party tries to avoid hurting you and end up hurting another innocent party? Will you be at ease? No man is an island. No matter how much you try to seclude yourself. Your actions and thoughts can affect other people still.

I don't cycle. But I walk, I drive. I have been through such situations. And at different angles, I feel differently. But at the end of the day, whenever I am behind the wheels, I tell myself that I must return home safely, no matter what. I owe my life to my parents and loved ones, this is the least I can do.

1 comments:

Wisely said...

Haha after travelling to so many countries, I still think that singaporeans have the best road etiquette but perhaps things have changed these days and my memory is not up-to-date anymore =)

Ya I totally agree with you, take good care of yourself, not only for your own sake, but also for others who care about you =)