Latest Art Work

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Fuzzy scene

17th July 2010

Many years ago, my then best friend told me seconds before she fainted, it turned pitch black for her.

I never knew what she saw, but today, I saw how people could turn black and fuzzy to me. I never knew what happens when someone with low iron count tries to donate blood. And when I was donating blood, the nurses were discussing how someone vomited after the donation. And how it may be scary but the vomiting process will help her.

I also know I'm not very high in iron today. Plus I'm losing more supposedly due to natural process. But I felt fine after the donation. Had the free snack which was awful to consume but I thought it is better to eat to recover the loss in sugar I had. And I made my way into the train perfectly. Was even chatting on phone as per usual.

But halfway through I started perspiring profusely. Surroundings dimmed and people turned fuzzy to me. I held on the pole to refrain from fainting. Some eternal moments later, there was an empty seat and I had to grabbed it because if I don't, my wobbly legs might not last the journey back. I thought of leaving the train halfway to go to the ladies as my tummy seem to ache. But I felt too weak to go anywhere either. So I fidgeted in my seats, feeling hot and flushed and trying very hard to regain conscious.

Made it to my destination stop. Hid in Tamp1 ladies (luckily there wasn't a queue either) till I felt stronger. Then slowly made my way back.

I am very grateful GA had kept me safe to made my way back. I certainly don't want to faint because that will probably be the end of my blood donation.

Anyway a few days later I was asking doc about medicines and found out medicine has half lives. I think I was on some medication that week but I believed it had died out due to its half life which is roughly the period where you need to take your next dosage. So when your doctor had asked you to take you medicine 3 times a day, it meant the half life of that particular medicine is 8 hours. Interesting!

1 comments:

Wisely said...

half life in pharmacology refers to the time taken for a medication to decrease its pharmacological properties by half in the blood plasma, so for example, paracetamol has a half-life of 2 hours and therefore the direction on the package is usually 2 tablets every 4-6 hours =)