Latest Art Work

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Euro Coins

Do you know that all euro coins have a common side and a national side.

The common reverse side shows how much the coin is worth, with a design by Belgian designer Luc Luycx.The design of the 1-, 2-, and 5-cent coins symbolises Europe's place in the world as a whole.
Image source obtained from wiki and further processed by bflygal.

The obverse side varies from state to state, with each member allowed to choose their own design. Each of the eight coins can have the same design (such as Belgian coins), or can vary from each coin (such as Italian coins). In monarchies, the national side usually features a portrait of the country's monarch, often in a design carried over from the former currency (such as Belgian coins). Republics tend to feature national monuments, symbols, or stylised designs (such as French coins). Engravings on the edge of the €2 coin are also subject to national choice.
Source: Wiki 


Geez, I did not know that.. luckily I was researching on Vitruvian Man (I still cannot figure what exactly defines Renaissance though and whether I should visit Uffizi or not.. sigh) and found out it is on Italian Euro. Phew luckily I read about it before I'm back from Italy else I will definitely cry (as I have assumed I had obtained the full set of Euro coins already). Now, I am going to re-collect my euro coins again. Anybody got spare euro coins??

0 comments: