Latest Art Work

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Alone on the Road

Source: A chapter from Paulo Coelho’s Like the Flowing River

Life is like a great bicycle race, whose aim is to fulfil our personal legend, which, according to the ancient alchemists, is our true mission on earth.

We all set off together, sharing friendship and enthusiasm; but as the race progresses, that initial happiness gives way to the real challenges: tiredness, boredom, doubts about our own abilities. We notice that a few friends have, in their hearts, already given up. They are still cycling, but only because they cannot stop in the middle of the road. There are more and more of them, pedalling along beside the support vehicle – also known as routine – talking amongst themselves, fulfilling their obligations, but oblivious to the beauties and challenges of the road.

We eventually leave them behind us, and then we come face to face with loneliness, with unfamiliar bends in the road, and mechanical problems with our bicycle. At a certain stage, after suffering a few falls with no one near at hand to help, we begin to ask ourselves if it’s really worth all the effort.

Yes, of course it is: one must not give up: Father Alan Jones says that, in order for our soul to be able to overcome these obstacles, we need the Four Invisible Forces: love, death, power and time.

We must love, for we are loved by God.

We must be aware of death, in order to understand life.

We must fight to grow - but not be fooled by the power which comes with growth, for we know it is worthless.

Finally, we must accept that our soul - although it is eternal - is at this moment caught in the web of time, with all its opportunities and limitations; so, on our solitary bike race, we must act as if time existed, doing what we can to value each second, resting when necessary, but always continuing in the direction of the Divine light, without letting ourselves be bothered by the moments of anxiety.

These Four Forces cannot be dealt with as problems to be solved, since they are beyond our control. We must accept them, and let them teach us what it is we must learn.

We live in a Universe which is both vast enough to contain us, and small enough to hold in our hearts. In every man’s soul, dwells the soul of the world, the silence of wisdom. As we pedal on towards our goal, we must ask: “what is lovely about today?” The sun may be shining, but if it is pouring with rain, it is important to remember that this also means that the black clouds will soon disperse. Clouds come and go, but the sun remains the same, and never fails - at times of loneliness, it is important to remember this.

So, when times are tough, we must not forget that the whole world has endured such moments, regardless of race, colour, social standing, belief, or culture. A beautiful prayer by the Sufi Dhu ‘l - Nun (Egyptian, died 861 AD) perfectly sums up the positive attitude necessary at such times:

“Oh Lord, when I pay attention to the voices of animals, the sounds of the trees, the bubbling of the waters, the chirping of the birds, the howling wind or the crashing thunder, I perceive in them evidence of Your unity; I sense that You are the supreme power, almighty, the supreme wisdom, supreme justice.

“Oh Lord, I recognize You in the trials I am enduring. Allow, Lord, Your satisfaction to be my satisfaction. May I be Your joy, that joy which a Father sees in his son. And may I recall You with tranquillity and determination, even when it is difficult to say that I love You.”


Author’s comments:
It’s weird to go through my commencement a 2nd time. It’s weird to rewind back what happen 4 years ago. It’s weird to find things familiar yet not familiar. And it’s weird that both times, I never felt happy.. though I admit I’m more relieved this time round compared to the previous time. Because I never once doubted that I can’t graduate from my undergraduate, but I seriously doubted for my masters. And this article came into my mind while the long and boring ceremony goes on…

I’m grateful to see all who graduated with me. I’m grateful also to those who once were my coursemates and will continue to wish them strength and will power to continue. But at this point of time, I wish hard that my classmate will be able to get over her grief soon. To learn of a demise of a loved one on such a day is indeed a hard blow. Even though I’m not close to her, but my heart can’t help feeling heavy upon knowing it. Thus the whole night, I pondered about life’s fragility and harshness. I can’t help thinking why he couldn’t stay alive just one more day to see the daughter’s in graduation gown. But maybe he had already seen her graduate which to him is enough. I guess I will never know.

It is such news that severely reminds me that sometimes, I really should undertake certain actions for my family’s sake. This is why I attend my commencement because I know they wanted to. Though my short speech was not included in part of the video, which I kind of expected it as there were so many who gave better speeches. Just the experience of recording is sufficient for me.

Anyway due to the recent events, I have a few thoughts in my head right now…
1. The meaning of 聽. A docent was saying he like this word a lot because you use your ear, eyes and heart to listen and most importantly you respect the speaker when you listen.

2. How many of us are choosing the path of our passion? It is an afterthought invoked by one of the speaker in the commencement when he commented about the pull factor of the investment and banking industry, the lull of high paying jobs over things you are really passionate. I think with that, he was referring to research.

3. Life can be harsh at times, and yet forgiving at times. That was what my friend said today when I asked him if he knows about our classmate. Maybe is because I attended the wake yesterday, thus my heart is still heavy. And I remembered in Pure 19, they mentioned that usually it is the living that is the hardest hit. I really hope that she will be able to overcome the hurdle placed. Actually, come to think of it, I think she can do it as she had been strong for the past few months… Hmm suddenly felt like I understand certain past events better now…

I should go back to sleep.. the next few days will be equally hectic... Sigh I forgot to ask when my friend is returning back to UK… in fact I haven’t talk to her for very long… hmm hope she enjoyed herself in SG… think I will find her when she’s back in UK or something… too much stuff in my mind now… zzzz…

0 comments: