Latest Art Work

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Copy-right?

Disclaimer: This post contained in the site is solely a personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the positions or opinions of my friends or their affiliates. All comments are based upon the author’s current (limited) knowledge and personal experiences. You should conduct independent tests to verify the validity of any statements made in this blog before basing any decisions upon those statements.

Copyright is a law that protects all original works created. Copyright is not just a right that allows others to copy original work. It is also right to stop others from copying original pieces of work. Copyright, unlike what its singular name might suggest, is a collection of more than one right.
Source: http://www.medialaw.com.sg/copyrightguide.htm

I had taken 2 modules which touched on copyright law and the only thing I learnt from it is you have to learn how to protect yourself. But actually when stressor told me about it on Saturday, the only thing that came into my mind is, they had the resources to do a better job. Although I still hope they would have at least credit my stressor a bit.

At the end of 2006, stressor had come to find me to develop a plan. For the whole of 2007, I should say I did not sacrifice as much as stressor other than those hours spent in McDonalds and other places, where I had to juggle school work cum FYP, work and the plan. Our biggest obstacle though is the fact we do not know how to program, especially for a search engine. Our programmer friend has to juggle his countless of projects too and could not spare too much time to code this plan out of interest. Even though we did find VC, and the results were positive, we did not accept it in the end due to certain reasons which should not be divulged.

In March 2008, I read about Rednano and told stressor about it. At that time, a friend’s words came into my mind that if we realised whatever we thought of keeps getting developed, it means others could also be thinking about what we were planning. I knew technology world prides first mover advantage and we really lack resources. Thus throughout 2007, when whatever we thought about was implemented subtly by Google etc, I always felt it is just luck. And Rednano’s founder could have shared the same thoughts as us too, just that they have better luck.

I would say I don’t really follow up or use Rednano often (Google is still my first choice) and might have neatly forgotten it if stressor did not mention about it on Saturday that he checked it out and found out that Rednano originate from our plan. My first thought was, are you sure? I’m surprised stressor did not feel too affected by that finding. Either he is more preoccupied about another matter or he also felt that we really did not have the resources unlike them.

Actually it is good to see the plan materialise (a large bit?) in that form. Just that I felt stressor should have taken some credit for it (by copyrighting his work???). But knowing how the world works, I can only say the practical world like this cannot tolerate the idealist people like stressor... and me haha (although I sometimes do wonder am I practical or idealist... mixed bah).

Anyway I have to add that we moved on... or more accurately he is trying on another plan which I sincerely wish him success. As for me, sigh, I’m still lost. However I’m telling myself the reason why I like here so as long as the reason remains valid, I can still survive working here hopefully.

And stressor, as you knew I tried to say thanks to you on Saturday... however it is indeed hard to say aloud the reasons haha... so it’s back to typing for me.
1) During my undergrad days, thanks for trying to befriend me. Yes I admit I do give people the impression that I’m a little chilli padi (but is little spicy only rite haha) so I might have really had too much heated arguments with you. Thanks for being understanding.
2) 2004, thanks for calling me again and patiently explain how MLM works. It’s always good to keep one updated.
3) 2006, thanks for yupz.. once again calling me again haha.. And for roping me into your plan which even though did not materialise, I learnt a lot.
4) Thanks for all the books you make me read, that’s where the name came from initially haha. Although you no longer stress me but hmm I don’t feel like using another name on u “p
5) Thanks for the investment tips. As for that matter, I did not get angry with you partly because of the economy and partly because (as always), I trust you will be able to do a good job and you will just need a year bah. But no stress kies.
6) Thanks for the listening ear and advices you dispensed and the company.
7) Lastly, from your experiences and perspective, I learnt a lot. So thanks to that too. And I hope the two of you will happily walk towards your shared values.

p/s: Can I still borrow books from you wahhaah =D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like i know who is stressor =P
esp on the MLM portion. is he TH?

Butterflygalz said...

who's TH?
You are.. X, the monday blog-reader?
If so, don't think you know him. He's my batch one..

Anonymous said...

technically i read mostly on monday but when i am bored, i do check on other days lolx.
oh haha. so i guess wrongly. TH is one of ur feeorin ogl la =P