Latest Art Work

Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Blind Men and the Elephant

A story I read many years ago. A story that truly reflect my thoughts now.

4th Blind Man: It's a pillar. I touched it..
6th Blind Man: A sword, I say.
2nd Blind Man: A venomous snake.
1st Blind Man: A bed.
3rd Blind Man: A rope.
5th Blind Man: A beautiful fan!

An elephant can look like 6 different things to 6 different people. And the reason is because everybody sees the elephant at their point of view.

Now you know why people like to ask you to put yourself in his/her shoes. I admit that I might have forgotten to empathy my friends sometimes or rather most of the times. I see things at my own point of view. I might even become stubborn at my own viewpoints. And thus at the end of the day, I assume something that was totally not the true situation. But maybe the other person had also assume something that was not the true situation. And we all end up like misguided blind men.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

這個成語故事源自中國,名字叫做瞎子摸象,故事裏的幾個瞎子輪着去摸大象的身軀:

摸到象腳的瞎子道:“大象像條柱子,對!是一條柱子!”

摸到象牙的瞎子道:“不,像蘿蔔,大象像蘿蔔!”

摸到象耳的瞎子道:“錯了錯了,大象像一把扇子,哇還很涼快呢!”

摸到象尾的瞎子道:“胡説,大象明明像條繩子!”

“我說像扇子!”
“像繩子!”
“不對!像蘿蔔!”
“哎呀像柱子啊!”

就這樣各人都以爲自己摸到的是大象的整個形狀。Moral of the story is 觀察事物的時候不能只看片面,以偏概全,而應該多收集各方面的意見,才能了解事情的真相。

正所謂人各有志,凡事豈能盡如人意?所以但求無愧於心便可。=)