Latest Art Work

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Leader and Follower

Today 小黑trainer wrote 2 columns, Leader and Follower and made us write our names in the column. Because of his intonation, I felt he had demeaned Follower (to be weak although later when I clarified with him, he said he did not.), and I chose to be a Follower. I expected the whole department to write their names in the Leader column, and most did not fail me except for the 2 newcomers and one joker. I cannot remember the last guy choice but I remember Maggie chose to be on the fence and I thought why not be clear. However she made full sense because for every leader, there must be followers and every follower will one day be a leader too.

Anyway she said that 小黑trainer chose to find out who are the leavers and mentioned the Followers are the leavers.. which in some sense is true for me but may not be true for the newcomers (these people have not been inculcated by their doctrine which is actually very good positive psychology. (Well Doc wrote a pretty simplified article on this topic so let’s give Doc some credits *clap clap*.)

Alright I digress, so back to leader and follower. I think this video says it best!

http://sivers.org/ff

1. A leader needs the guts to stand alone and look ridiculous. Alright maybe need not be ridiculous but he must be doing something out of ordinary in some sense.
2. The first follower must have guts to publicly show everyone how to follow. Being a first follower is an under-appreciated form of leadership.
3. However the leader usually puts the first follower as his equal because well, the first follower transforms this guy to become a leader and not just a lonesome crazy fellow.
4. The 2nd follower is a turning point as it is a proof that the first follower has done well. After all, three is a crowd.
5. It must be made public where everyone can see the followers, because new followers emulate followers - not the leader.

The most important lesson is to courageously follow what you genuinely care for and show others how to follow too. So butterflygal, I must carry on this road less travelled, because I genuinely believed it will lead me to where GA wants me to.

Anyway while tearing today, I accidentally dropped by an old post on Do you want to be the same as the rest. It has been a year. How time flies. I know this probably is just the beginning of everything that might change and there will might be more clashes.. but maybe just maybe, there might not be. I can only put my faith in GA.

He who seeks one thing and but one,
May hope to achieve it before life is done.
But he who seeks all things wherever he goes
Must reap around him in whatever he sows
A harvest of barren repent.
- William H. Hinson

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
Just because they're not on your road
doesn't mean they've gotten lost.
- H. Jackson Browne, Jr
I wish I can say this to her, but will she be able to understand it?

0 comments: