Latest Art Work

Monday, June 01, 2009

Sundown Marathon

It is a 42.195km Marathon route which features four uniquely named sections:
1) String of Lights (22km) – This runs along Nicoll Drive, behind the Changi Airport runway and down towards East Coast Park
2) Heartland Twist (7km) – This features 3 overhead bridges linking East Coast Park with Bedok Town Park and Bedok
3) Waterfront Trail (6km) – This goes around the reservoir towards Pasir Ris
4) Home Run (7km) – This last stretch is where runners will face a 300m uphill battle before reaching the finishing line.

Interesting route? To tell you the truth, I did not read up about the route while I was practising. Thus on the day itself, I was quite surprised when I learnt of the route. Because my 2nd last practice run, I had tried Bedok Reservoir.. and my last practice, I tried Pasir Ris to Changi. The only problem was these 2 practice runs, my body had not went through 26km then. Thus the 2 practice runs were easily accomplished (actually not true, the Changi run I had to give up the last 1 km to the Changi market because I needed to rush back on time for guests that day).

So on the day itself, I continued to feel nervous. Cut my toenails to prevent inflicting any self-injury. Tried sleeping but couldn't really sleep. And the questions on whether I can finish, do I have the mindset, am I determined enough haunt me repeatedly. Probably why I blocked all the naysayer beforehand so that they will not add on to my anxiety. Personally I know a full marathon is tough, and to accomplish one without training isn't a good idea. But I felt that training is only required if you want a good time. I, on the other hand, may have wanted to complete by 5.5 hours but it wasn't a must.

Anyway the first half of the marathon was bearable. I guess it was only around the 26km that I truly start to feel deflated and started walking all the way from Kembangan MRT to Bedok Reservoir. But the walking did not stop, at the sandy track, even though it reminded me of the real run, I refused to jog because I felt it would take extra effort on my part.

I guess I was happier though when I caught my hometown in sight. And by the time I saw this sign

I was trying to trick my mind that I am doing my regular jogging in the morning (esp since I had reached it around 5am) and am trying to jog down to find my sunrise.

The only problem is I know this last leg well to know that I got a long D to cover... and by the time I hit the path to Changi, I'm back to the walking stage. The only times I tried to jog is when there is a slope down. Actually I told my friend I want to walk all the way back. But you know when someone tells you, you have 1 km left, somehow you really wish to end the agony faster. So I had to slow jog all the way back.. to obtained the following results:

Rank: 275/738
Bib No: 5954
Gun Time: 6:16:14.05
0-10km: 1:12:02.12
10km-20km: 1:35:50.95
20km-30km: 1:25:33.52
30km-42km: 2:02:47.46

Would I ever repeat this agony again? While at Bedok Reservoir, my friend had said if I ever want to do 84, please do not find him. Of which I replied if I ever suggested anything from 42 onwards, you should just kill me.

Yah, I think my limit is 26 only. One should know her limit at times too, because even if you force it, you will end up getting hurt right? I don't know... lately I got too much stuff that I am unable to figure out... Argh...

0 comments: