Latest Art Work

Saturday, February 07, 2009

If I Live My Life Backwards...

The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it? A death! What’s that, a bonus?!? I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you go live in an old age home. You get kicked out for being too healthy. You go collect your pension, then when you start work, you get a gold watch on your first day. You work forty years until you’re young enough to enjoy your retirement. You drink alcohol, you party, and you get ready for High School. Afterwards you go to primary school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little boy or a little girl. You go back, you spend your last 9 months floating with luxuries like central heating, spa, room service on tap, then you finish off as an orgasm!! Now that’s how life should be!!!

Source: http://itsallmaya.com/life-backwards-benjamin-button/

When my colleague first mentioned this movie last year, after some research, this was the post that caught me thinking… how do one wants to live their life?

According to Mark Twain, “Life would be happier if we could be born at 80 and gradually approach 18.”

Is it true? After watching the movie, this one-liner says it best…

“It doesn’t matter if you live your life backward or forward, it’s how you live your life.”
Source: http://www.lasplash.com/publish/cat_index_Entertainment_and_Culture/The_Curious_Case_of_Benjamin_Button_Review.php

But I must admit when you see those you love and care for growing older, and you growing younger, it might really be more heart-wrenching. But I see the aged fumble just as I see the young stumble. And I see the aged losing memory just as I see the young blank mind. And maybe, just maybe I figured out that in life, there is a cycle, a bell curve after all. And now that I am losing my memory… I hope I reach the end of the bell curve too. Afterall when you are close to dying, Captain Mike says
“You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go.”

And I am fervently learning how to let go..

Remember what Benjamin Button says “It's a funny thing about comin' home. Looks the same, smells the same, feels the same. You'll realize what’s changed is you.”

Is it true?

And if I want, do I want Benjamin Button’s life?
Or do I want a life comprising of
The first twenty years we eat, sleep, play and enjoy ourselves. For the next forty years we slave in the sun to support our family. For the next ten years we do monkey tricks to entertain the grandchildren. And for the last ten years we sit on the front porch and bark at everyone.
Referenced from the "story" of How God Created Man

On the first day God created the cow. God said, "You must go to the field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves and give milk to support the farmer. I will give you a life span of sixty years."

The cow said, "That's a kind of a tough life you want me to live for sixty years. Let me have twenty years and I'll give back the other forty." And God agreed.

On the second day, God created the dog. God said, "Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. I will give you a life span of twenty years." The dog said, "That's too long to be barking. Give me ten years and I'll give back the other ten." So God agreed.

On the third day God created the monkey. God said, "Entertain people, do monkey tricks, make them laugh. I'll give you a twenty year life span."
Monkey said, "How boring, monkey tricks for twenty years? I don't think so. Dog gave you back ten, so that's what I'll do too, okay?" And God agreed again.

On the fourth day God created man. God said, "Eat, sleep, play, have sex, enjoy. Do nothing, just enjoy. I'll give you twenty years." Man said, "What? Only twenty years? No way man. Tell you what, I'll take my twenty, and the forty the cow gave back, and the ten the dog gave back and the ten the monkey gave back. That makes eighty, okay?"

"Okay," said God. "You've got a deal." So that is why for the first twenty years we eat, sleep, play, have sex, enjoy, and do nothing; for the next forty years we slave in the sun to support our family; for the next ten years we do monkey tricks to entertain our grandchildren; and for the last ten years we sit in front of the house and bark at everybody.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

actulli haf seen the contents of ur blog in separate entries but this is the first time i m seeing it linked together..wld haf thot it's quite insightful..

Anonymous said...

Hmm... sounds like a nice movie!

Butterflygalz said...

It is.

One more quote dispensed by an old lady to Benjamin Button
"We were meant to lose people. How else would we know how important they are".