Latest Art Work

Monday, June 16, 2008

Regina Spektor - The Call

Regina Spektor - The Call

It started out as a feeling
Which then grew into a hope
Which then turned into a quiet thought
Which then turned into a quiet word

And then that word grew louder and louder
'Til it was a battle cry

I'll come back
When you call me
No need to say goodbye

Just because everything's changing
Doesn't mean it's never
Been this way before

All you can do is try to know
Who your friends are
As you head off to the war

Pick a star on the dark horizon
And follow the light

You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye

You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye

Now we're back to the beginning
It's just a feeling and no one knows yet
But just because they can't feel it too
Doesn't mean that you have to forget

Let your memories grow stronger and stronger
'Til they're before your eyes

You'll come back
When they call you
No need to say good bye

You'll come back
When they call you
No need to say good bye

Author’s comments:
It is a song from Prince Caspian and is the only highlight of the entire movie. Imagine me watching the movie monotonously and suddenly sit upright when the song was played towards the end … all because of the first few lines

It started out as a feeling
Which then grew into a hope
Which then turned into a quiet thought
Which then turned into a quiet word


I still remembered a conversation I had a month ago with my friend.
He asked if I have gotten over and I asked where the feelings went.
Unlike others, he actually has a reply for me.

Feelings don’t go anywhere, they fade.
Feelings intensify when you have memories of the person, especially happy memories.
Feelings fade when the memories are no longer important to you due to a change in priority.

Till now, that conversation still stays fresh in my mind, guess my friend impacted me deeply that time. Anyway it’s almost a week since I last posted something. I was having withdrawal symptoms from not being able to borrow Mitch Albom’s The 5 People You Meet in Heaven and torn between wanting to buy the book. (Sidenote: Paulo Coelho had mentioned in Like the Flowing River, that he only keeps a precious collection of books that he will re-read. Most books which he buys, he actually prefers to give them away because books are meant to travel and not for display. However I’m not so rich plus I love library books.. and I love to visit the libraries I guess. My friend had once commented he was a librarian for a few years when I said he doesn’t seem like a library person, and I told him I was a librarian since primary school and even in Uni, my ECA’s environment is in the central lib.. of which he replied I’m gone case… zzzz)

Till date, I still have not borrowed the book yet. And to curb my withdrawal symptoms, I ended up gaming in MS on a private server instead. I can’t remember was it a Tues or Wed that I created that account and I just got addicted to levelling up. The last time I played, I never managed to finish 3rd job advancement. All 3 accounts were close to there but never made it. So this time, I “die-die” also want to complete 3rd job which I did succeed except now there is a 4th job and it is getting tough to level up already. What impressed me though is the guy hosting the game was able to modify the game to suit people’s needs. Most gamers know that levelling in MS is tough thus he had actually multiplied the experience we actually got. In fact, I only got to know yesterday from my brother that he and the lot playing are actually Singaporeans. No wonder their conversations have a very strong local flavour. Then yesterday they had some argument because like any typical Singaporean in MS, there is a tendency to turn “selfish” where one claims the particular map his own and shoos other people away with a “CC” message meaning “change channel”. In the end the guy patched the game that night to only have one channel, thus nobody can ever messaged “CC” anymore haha. I have to say he is ingenious.

Then times I’m not gaming, I was reading Jane Goodall’s Harvest for Hope. It got me quite worked out though that in the mid-week, I was telling a friend (after asking his opinion of my character for fun) that true half of the time I’m the nonchalant type who don’t care and yet ask a lot of questions, and the other half of the time I’m the solitude type who hate mankind. This book mention the atrocious acts mankind had done to Mother Nature and the harm it caused to the soil, the plants and the animals. It also contained stories of genetically modified food, the cons more than the pros I suppose. One such famous example should be the tomato especially now that it is on news lately. It is quite ironical why cash corps are grown in countries littered with starving people and exported to countries who themselves have abundant of food from their own local products. Sigh!

However, this book also spewed with examples of courageous individuals who FYI, can be a child adamantly wanting to be a vegetarian or adults fighting for their rights and against those big corporations who only care about profit and not about farming. I’m not the cook or the person buying the grocery though, so it is hard to convince my mum to find out where we are buying our food and to switch to organic if possible. Besides it is indeed hard to find local products here. Maybe I will try to talk to her more during our Taiwan trip. Here is an excerpt on World Hunger.

800 million starving people in the world, and nearly 30,000 children dying of starvation. Not due to lack of food per se, but to a variety of different factors such as: political turmoil; poor food distribution; corrupt governments at both regional and central levels; the degradation of soil due to overpopulation and overgrazing; corporate takeover of rural farms with the resulting threat to local farming cultures that were developed to suit local conditions; and finally the hundreds of thousands of peasants who are deprived of their means to live through subsistence farming, and the migration of these peasant farmers to the cities. This last is a tragedy being played out on a grand scale as peasant farmers become increasingly poor and disenfranchised.
Source: Jane Goodall's Harvest for Hope


Hmm anyway I realise time flies even when I’m not actively doing something. I had dinner on Thursday at Botak Jones .. happy because it was something I wanted to try.. though the likelihood of going back is not high unless I’m in the vicinity again… because I don’t want to get lost again haha. So CMI, I actually got lost in Bedok even though I did check the map… zzz.. but it did let me understand why my friend used to say his house is also quite near Kembagan haha. Then I got the Taiwan stuff which I’m still procrastinating though I read a bit this morning on my bus journey before falling asleep again. And I had my Lasik pre-evaluation on Friday which was surprisingly long. The “more scary” part would be when she dilated my pupils because my near sight got blurry and the effects lasted pretty long. On the way back home, I actually couldn’t see under bright sunlight and was making my way home like a blind mouse. My brother, on the other hand, had none of that experience. Then the weekend came of which Sunday is the more interesting day because I met a JC mate who I haven’t seen for a real long time and got some updates from her. Actually I was supposed to meet another one on Saturday too.. a bride-to-be but she had to finish up her last minute packing as Sunday is the “Ping Li”… so called the day to negotiate bride-price. Never mind, I postponed it to a weekday dinner in nearby vicinity so should be fun too haha. Oh and I went to the zoo on Sunday too… for certain reasons which I might divulge someday bah hahah… Shall get back to work especially when I’m going hols soon.. Hmm time… really… flies….

P/s: Was rushing this post .. for my Monday reader X haha. Actually last week, don’t know why I suddenly feel like saying thanks for being a good senior during my uni days haha. Then today, I decided to rush out this post because I needed to add that.. hey your lunch buddy is now teaching me French… hahahaha

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just saw this post recently so if you intending to go organic for your family, hahah, do patronise my sister-in-law shop. =P

Blk 263 Serangoon Central Drive #01-77

Anonymous said...

okay, i must admit that i only glance thru halfway and only now i noticed u got mentioned me haha.

dun worry, i checked ur blog on other days also hahaha but not so often.

well, i am a good senior to any junior who is nice and good also (hee compliments returned liao).

lunch buddy? huh huh? u talking to me?